Reason Essentials compatible budget soundcards?

Guitar Fiend

Hi all

Is anyone using Reason Essentials (or any Reason to record)? I wonder which soundcard you're using with it?

I just bought RE so I can finally use Reason to record as well as sequence, and wouldn't you know it Reason doesn't like my soundcard. It's an antique Edirol so I'm not really surprised. It does recognise it to play out, but the inputs aren't showing in preferences. No idea why.

I'm not a high end studio buff, so a budget usb soundcard is fine for me. Any recommendations? M-Audio make some low end usb soundcards, but I don't want to buy anything unless I know it's gonna be compatible......

thanks.

What kind of budget do you have? Focusrite's Saffire series is pretty popular (or probably the most popular at this point) as far as low-end USB interfaces go. In the same price range there are also units from Steinberg, Presonus, Tascam & Roland, all of which'll get the job done.

What kind of budget do you have? Focusrite's Saffire series is pretty popular (or probably the most popular at this point) as far as low-end USB interfaces go. In the same price range there are also units from Steinberg, Presonus, Tascam & Roland, all of which'll get the job done.

Thanks for the reply. I can afford Focusrite's Saffire, that's within budget. I mentioned M-Audio because they seem the cheapest, and I spotted one on ebay right now. But whichever one I buy it must be compatible with Reason. And with software you never know what's going to happen. In theory Edirol should be compatible, but it's not working properly. That's why I'm wary......

I don't think any modern interface should be problematic - in theory, that is. But basically everything should be compatible with Reason. What's the model of that Edirol card btw? I'm guessing the problem is its drivers rather than Reason - the Edirol brand is on its way out, or so it seems at least so support for older products may be problematic.

It's an Edirol UA-1A, and it's very very old :) I stuck with it so long because it's so incredibly simple and robust. It's always just *worked*.
But the drivers are up to date, and I fear it's now reached the end......

Well, agreed that it's pretty old :) Still, it might still work - have you tried Asio4All, for example (if you're on Windows)? It's a 3rd party generic ASIO driver that should work with most interfaces.

Wow. I don't believe it. I now have audio coming through the Edirol into Reason :berzerk:

That's just brilliant. If we ever meet remind me to buy you a beer ;)

Back