Reason and Control Surfaces : Continuous Knobs and Relative Values.

Stakkertoo

I have just bought an Akai MPK49 to replace my M-Audio Axiom for use with Reason, and am rather annoyed that the control knobs don't just work 'relatively' with a synth parameter.

Example, when I switch instruments or Songs when playing live, if the parameter assigned to a particular knob is set to a different value, when I turn the knob it jumps to the value that the knob was at, NOT what the synth was at.

This makes the use of filters and volume tricky. For example, if I load a new tune and want to perform a smooth filter sweep from 20% to 60%, the knob will just jump in at 80% or whatever the knob was set before.

Any ideas on how to change this?

The Axiom never had this problem as you just picked up the parameter from wherever it was set on Reason, not on the Controller.

i had this issue too, i didnt bother looking into it so i returned it and got a plain midi keyboard and used my mouse for the knobs etc...

i had this issue too, i didnt bother looking into it so i returned it and got a plain midi keyboard and used my mouse for the knobs etc...

But when I play live I don't want to use the laptop. It's really frustrating, there must be a way to make them 'relative'?

what's the point of 'continuous' knobs if they just drop in at the point they were previously, it makes no sense.

Surely there should be some 2 way communication from Reason to tell the keyboard where to pick up the parameter?

Novation 61 key with automap. . .solved. . .lol

I think you have misunderstood my post.

Mapping is fine, it's the 'absolute' vs 'relative' rotary controls that are the problem.

I called Akai last night and the dude is going to experiment and get back to me. he said it works fine in Logic, but I have tried Ableton and Reason and they both pick up on the previous value.

I hear your pain. I know what you want to accomplish. I run into that problem with one song that I need to fade in with the pots on the keyboard. If I forget to turn the dial down before the song to match the mixer 0 then I've screwed up royally because you'll hear the notes as I try to quickly get the dial to 0 to start the fade in....not good.

Keep updating the thread when you hear back from Akai though. I'm interested in knowing a solution.

I am sure we'll be disappointed. The lad at Akai was quite snotty with me at first, as he told me it 'works fine for him' in Logic.

I had to demonstrate it whilst i was on the phone, to convince him it wasn't just me.

however he seemed convinced the problem lies with Reason and Ableton

it's a shame, because, one of my keys is also faulty (has a delay between touching and making a noise) so i'll probably be sending it back and if they dont' solve this problem I'll just have to buy another Axiom, which doesn't have anything like the build quality I love in the Akai

Yes it does work that way in Logic. I haven't really tested it in Reason. One thing that bugs me is in the sampler in logic, with the endless pots, if you turn the cuttoff to it's max value and keep going, it will go past the max value and start over at the beginning. Not AKAI's fault, but I wish I could fix this somehow.

Back