Reason 7 announced

AWESOME

Group Channels: YES!
Parallel Channels: YES!

MIDI OUT: YES!

From the faq

You can upgrade from any previous version of Reason to Reason 7 for EUR129/USD129 when Reason 7 is released.

If you own Reason 1–5, you can upgrade to Reason 6.5 now and receive a free upgrade to Reason 7 on release day.

An alternative upgrade path for owners of Reason 1-6.5 is to purchase and register a Balance audio interface. This qualifies as an upgrade to Reason 6.5 and a free upgrade to Reason 7 on release day.

damn two new products (komplete 9) within days of each other......

Last edited:
I don't get how Propellerheads can keep getting away with adding features that every other competing product has had for YEARS and people still get excited for it. Are they just that good of marketers??

And this is coming from a Reason user and lover.

I'm not trying to hate on it...I just don't see anything that would pull me into getting it. World Wide said it best...I mean its great for current reason users looking for an upgrade, but all that stuff has existed in DAW's since around 04-05...Its a good stable program I used it for some of my production in 06 but what happened to the innovation? I don't even notice anyone making noise about refills anymore besides the props site.

I don't get how Propellerheads can keep getting away with adding features that every other competing product has had for YEARS and people still get excited for it. Are they just that good of marketers??

And this is coming from a Reason user and lover.

I think it's because it's historically been a closed system, which somehow had everything you needed still. Now.. it's adding on wishes that technically aren't NEEDED. Reason was great before Propellerhead even gave it audio recording abilities. That's kinda how. They already had a great product.... now they're adding things to it to make it finally rival a complete DAW. They're getting dangerously close to DAW status lol.

SIDE NOTE

OH MY F-IN GOD!!!!! What a great time for me to decide to purchase 6.5 huh?!?!?!? HAHAHAHA. I LITERALLY was just asking about this in another thread 3-4 days ago. I need to look up what they mean by improved routing. I can't see the video above on this computer. Do they mean you'll be able to route audio from your DAW into reason and back out?

If so.... i will piss my pants, light a match and burn em lol

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

Okay... just saw the video on my phone's youtube.

I'm much less excited lol. Looks like a dramatic improvement if you already use Reason of course. Must've been tough mixing without the analyzer. When I started actually mixing properly.. I was already on a DAW by then. I don't think these additions really compel someone to switch from their DAW to Reason.

Nonetheless.. Reason is still one of the best production tools you can use, and these additions definitely continue it going in the right direction. It's eventually going to be a full-fledged DAW minus third-party VSTs.

If I were a Reason-only user.. i'd be jumping with joy though! Using my external synths will probably be a lot of fun.

Their improved routing is the ability to create busses (Groups) and clone a channel for parallel processing (without adding another audio track) - that is cool.

The MIDI out is way cool and allows me to integrate all of my old hardware modules and to control some of my external processors as well.

I'm not trying to hate on it...I just don't see anything that would pull me into getting it. World Wide said it best...I mean its great for current reason users looking for an upgrade, but all that stuff has existed in DAW's since around 04-05...Its a good stable program I used it for some of my production in 06 but what happened to the innovation? I don't even notice anyone making noise about refills anymore besides the props site.
them features were in other daws before that even lol. I am not all that excited about Reason 7. This is an amazing update if you only use Reason if you rewire or use another program then most people won't care but that was the same case with Reason 6 too soooo..............

Nice additions but as usual its already a part of any other DAW.

I use reason and will continue to because of its environment (simple/efficient) stability and self contained compatibility. But I dont get super happy with minor upgrades.

I understand and agree with thier "No VST" policy, its like apple products. When everything is done in house QA is near flawless.

But an ancient method of MIDI out should have been in Reason years ago. It is the DNA of electronic
music production and they chose to leave it out so that you bought refills from them, Ive never heard of stability issues with MIDI so that couldnt be the cause for leaving it out.

Also the Recycle integration. There isnt a DAW on the market that leaves out sample chopping and time stretch even if its a bad layout/workflow. So as soon as V5 came out so should recycle integration, theres no good explanation for it in my opinion.

I must give them credit on the new modules and RE-Extensions. Good move with some fairly creative thoughts into a few of them and also the newer sound banks and the SSL mixer were solid moves.

I see Reasons improvements but they need to come faster.

I will probably upgrade though.

I think that Reason 6 to 6.5 and now to 7.0 - it has all happened inbetween few years, isn't that fast? Yes it is, if you ask me.
Now, when Reason 7 has all the features that we never supposed to see - makes it being a NO.1 DAW for me. (what did people say: we never see audio, 3rd party plugins and midi out. OMG how wrong they were!).

Last edited:
I think that Reason 6 to 6.5 and now to 7.0 - it has all happened inbetween few years, isn't that fast? Yes it is, if you ask me.
Now, when Reason 7 has all the features that we never supposed to see - makes it being a NO.1 DAW for me. (what did people say: we never see audio, 3rd party plugins and midi out. OMG how wrong they were!).
Its a fast upgrade cycle for Reason yes but keep in mind that in other DAWs these are basic features. This is the update Reason 7 needed to be I was just hoping there was more to it. I like this upgrade but I think there is still more to come that they haven't announced yet.

I said this over KVR too and I'm gonna say it here too - well you keep telling about how other DAWs have had it already - it's true but the other DAWs don't feel the same while using them. They have lot of serious enjoyment problems and workflow issues. If I want something, I want it the Propellerhead way.

Propellerheads is still playing catch up...smh and people is still praising the mediocrity.lol How is it that Reaper has only 3 devs and been out half the time of Reason and has way more features than Reason except for inbuilt instruments? When I found out you could create your own workflow with custom menus, rearrange the gui how you want, better mixing fx, similar cv like routing that Reason has, a combinator like way of loading vsts and being able to create custom actions with crazy midi manipulation it was a wrap for me sequencing in Reason. I tried to go back to Reason standalone and it was painful and archaic feeling so now I just rewire. The inbuilt rex chopping seems cool but knowing Propellerheads they will find a way to gimp it so they can continue to sell Recycle for its extortionate price.lol I'm glad I bought a Reaper license, it fits my workflow of being able to make it work how I want it to work. I wish Propellerheads would stop giving "just a little bit" of features/workflow enhancements and actually do something to really put their application to the level or even greater than everything else.

i agree these features have been available in other DAWs for years... but for some who uses large sample libraries (vst/i) and want to go mobile... Reason 7 is ideal... you cant run Native Instrument's session drummer, a scrabee amp bass, east/west piano, vintage organ, horns, east/west strings, and a few synth patches from omnisphere on a lappy... that is not going to happen... plus lugging around an external hard drive does add more weight to you back pack... running the sample libraries will burn up your lappy battery faster too...

I said something similar to this in the Komplete 9 thread. I mean I have a big majority of the things you mentioned here, and while I can say you can do it...its not really a comfortable feel having so much of that on that sort of mobile setup. I start striving for space after a while...Also those large sample libraries eat up ram ex..Kontakt, and CPU...ex. Omnisphere...So I could see your point on this because from what I remember reason was very good on resources, and stability. I've stayed on top just upgrading to the max supported ram, I updated to a 1 TB drive and plan on going for a 2 TB soon...Defraging and cleaning up garbage...I still have a smooth system, but can't do so much when it comes to CPU usage...The minute I get extra low on space, stop keeping things clean and defragging It gets a bit sluggish at times.

I see Reason 7.5 coming a lot sooner than 6.5 did though so many ppl brought this late thing up.

To me though I just feel like they're getting to be Sony in the age of the Ipod.

Sure, the Walkman was awesome in 1983... and is STILL awesome (if you happen to own a lot of cassette mixtapes for some reason)... but technology has come a long way and its time to release an MP3 player.

I said this over KVR too and I'm gonna say it here too - well you keep telling about how other DAWs have had it already - it's true but the other DAWs don't feel the same while using them. They have lot of serious enjoyment problems and workflow issues. If I want something, I want it the Propellerhead way.

Exactly. Yea other DAW's have the features but Reason has always been a closed system and most people including me used reason for it's insanely smooth creative workflow..I don't want to jump from program to program with rewire and all that..Now reason has everything one simple package.

And now they have Recycle into Reason. This is perfect for people like me who work with samples.

I am loyal to Properllerhead definitely and is my main DAW for music production

Reason is for creative artists and now we have everything we need in one program! So simple....so powerful.

Auto chop samples in reason.......SOLD!

Essentials that is...........free upgrade. YAY!!!!! I made a great decision on not getting 6. Proud of myself.

The inbuilt rex chopping seems cool but knowing Propellerheads they will find a way to gimp it so they can continue to sell Recycle for its extortionate price.lol
They already said they were going to. Saying if you want all of the features from Recycle its available in Recycle. I think you will only be able to create slice points and export them or quantize them. Which for me at least is fine because its all I ever used Recycle for when I had it. Glad I sold my license but I feel bad for the guy I sold it to kinda.

Back