Reason 7 announced

I don't get how Propellerheads can keep getting away with adding features that every other competing product has had for YEARS and people still get excited for it. Are they just that good of marketers??

And this is coming from a Reason user and lover.

They're like Apple and Bose...

I have an old version of Reason, so old that I can't even remember the version number. I use it often, and I like it a lot. I find the sequencer easier to use than Zynewave Podium. I use standalone ReCycle to create my rx2 files for Reason. Reason Pianos are really nice but the EQ needs tweaking. There are better pianos out there but they're not bad for Reason. I have never found a good Rhodes in Reason so I continue to use Lounge Lizard or the great built-in Rhodes on my Yamaha S90, but therein lies the problem - you can't use S90 sounds with Reason. I have to mix down the Reason tracks and import them into Adobe Audition or Zynewave Podium as a .wav file, then create the S90 parts. If you later discover something about the Reason track you didn't like, you have to fix it in Reason and bounce again. Not the end of the world but it is a pain when you're trying to work fast. I recently discovered Reaper and I'm tempted to go that route, since more and more of what I do is VST based. I'm using a "Dr. Rex" like VST in Podium which I'm sure I can use in Reaper. I also use Massive but it crashes in Podium often. Standalone Massive works great, and I wonder if Reaper does a better job of working out the Massive .dll bugs. I doubt I'll upgrade Reason - I just don't see the point. I'll continue to use my old version as needed. Reaper and VST's seem like the way to go these days.

---------- Post added at 04:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

I should add that I have no plans to ditch any of my 4 controllers - Yamaha S90, Korg CX-3, Roland RD-100, Roland DJ-70. The S90 and RD-100 have weighted keys, and each one is weighted differently. The CX-3 has drawbars that can be used as controllers, and some of the built-in sounds are excellent. The DJ-70 is compact for easy transport. Of course any of these can be used with Reason/Podium depending on the gig. I would hate to sell any of them and one day be at a gig wishing that I still had that keyboard.

I've been using Reason for years..right now I use Reason 5. And now looking at other DAW's. What's so special about Reason 7? Midi out? Slice integration? Recording audio? There just making Reason into a full DAW.

Most DAW's can do all of that, and some can do more for a fraction of Reason 7's price...shit some are even FREE. Now that I think about it, Reason does seem really overhyped

The modular rack is ok, but really..wtf are you going to be modulating that much besides freaky glitchy electronic shit. The synths are ok, but nothing special.

I'm going back to making music. I think I just liked Reason so much because I was comfortable with it's workflow. But you can get comfortable with any DAW really.

I've been using Reason for years..right now I use Reason 5. And now looking at other DAW's. What's so special about Reason 7? Midi out? Slice integration? Recording audio? There just making Reason into a full DAW.

Most DAW's can do all of that, and some can do more for a fraction of Reason 7's price...shit some are even FREE. Now that I think about it, Reason does seem really overhyped

The modular rack is ok, but really..wtf are you going to be modulating that much besides freaky glitchy electronic shit. The synths are ok, but nothing special.

I'm going back to making music. I think I just liked Reason so much because I was comfortable with it's workflow. But you can get comfortable with any DAW really.
Reason for an all in one package is a damn good deal. Reason 7 is a great update for those who only use Reason. The updates were much needed for Reason stand alone but not that great vs other DAWs. That said after using Reason for years I basically only use it for refills that I have, a couple rack extensions and Thor. Everything else I do in Live. And you can do some awesome things with modulation in hip hop. Hell even Wah guitars are just filter modulation.

True but you don't need an entire production software just for filter modulation. You can do that with basic effects. The reason rack is just starting to seem like overkill to me. Rarely do i find myself doing a lot of rack modulation with it, only basic stuff and if i do try something really creative with it its only something glitchy and "computerized".

Most of these new soft-plugin effects are derived from the basic delay, filter, phaser, reverb, etc..which you can do yourself

I'm just getting pulled more in the direction of going the "simple route". A basic DAW with a soft-synth/sampler that you learn in and out and map the controls to your midi keyboard. It's cheaper, simpler, and you can still make great music.

The average person don't even get fully into their soft-synth, just use it for the presets and move on to the next hot synth that comes out. I'm just interested in getting more "hands-on" with music.

Last edited:
I agree. The modulators in Reason are quite good. Reaper is a fantastic piece of software that I use with my older version of Reason. I just plug Reason into a track with Rewire. I would guess Reason seems overhyped because they have so much competition now. Back in the day, they didn't. The synths are powerful but you have to spend a lot of time figuring out how they work. I don't have the time or patience for that so I prefer a lot of great patches with knobs that I can tweak for taste. I don't want you to recognize default patches in my tracks... Reaper has really been blowing my mind these days, probably the best DAW I've seen for the price.

Last edited:
Yea Reaper is good. I've used it before. You can get really advanced with it too, plus it's "next to" free, even the full version is only $60

I think Reason is so overhyped because of it's good marketing. Like I was really excited about that Polar rack extension until I found out it was a simple pitch-shifting/harmonizer/delay effect which you can pretty much do yourself on most soft-synth vsts.

Any DAW is good though once you are comfortable with its workflow and interface. I think I might be sticking wit Studio One 2 for a while. One DAW and one soft-synth/sampler module is plenty to get creative with imo.

Just bought reason 7 today from amazon, cant wait. Been fuggin wit 5 for about a year now. Finally i can record my voice and flip it into a melody

Bottom line is, just learn a program in and out, and create good music.
Too many ppl focus on the daw and less on the music thats why their music ends up sucking!

Reason 7 for LIFE***

heres a little tip for reason users

I bought reason 7 couple of days ago . after using illigal software for years it was time for me to invest in a legit program . i used reason 5 but i always found myself stuck without the recording function . reason 7 fixes all that and is now a real fully operating DAW yes its kind of pricy but reason is a all in one DAW and for making hip hop its all i really need. Reason 7 + Mpc2000xl = fire !

Back