Reason 7 announced

I mean I use and love Reason... but lets be honest, that's only because I got started on it and familiar with it since version 2.0 and have a ton of extra refills and what not for it.

Aside from using it in a mobile setup on a laptop (which even that reasoning is quickly going away as laptops become cheaper and more powerful)... I don't get why anyone would get started with Reason in 2013... at least not with JUST Reason as your one and only DAW.

I mean good lord look at Komplete 9 which was just announced as well. Can Reason really compare to that???

Im excited about the midi out. not only for midi hardware integration but also for the existing arsenal of vst plugins that can now be introduced.

I am waiting to see how this pans out with latency adjustments etc. Finally Reason is pulling in a lot of traditional functions of others DAWs. Could win a lot of new users.

I mean I use and love Reason... but lets be honest, that's only because I got started on it and familiar with it since version 2.0 and have a ton of extra refills and what not for it.

Aside from using it in a mobile setup on a laptop (which even that reasoning is quickly going away as laptops become cheaper and more powerful)... I don't get why anyone would get started with Reason in 2013... at least not with JUST Reason as your one and only DAW.

I mean good lord look at Komplete 9 which was just announced as well. Can Reason really compare to that???

If I were producing only... I would consider starting with Reason. But recording wise... there are just too many obvious benefits to having the DAW.. and i've fallen in love w/ certain VSTs that Reason can't touch..... (IE. Real Strat, Amplitube, Trilian just to name a few). But for a producer-only setup.... i still think it's a great first option.

They did it again-simple video on youtube and I'm taking out my money.

MIDI out would be nice feature in 2000 (Reason 1), where people used hardware.
In 2013 most music is made inside the box. But I think I will use this feature- AKAI s950 sequencing drums, then recording into Reason.

Graphical EQ-Better now then never- i never liked MClass EQ it was hard finish eq-ing with one instacne(only 2 bands,2 other are LPF nad HPF)

Better Mixer- good idea.

I think that propellerheads don't know what to do: they are stuck.
Reason 6/6.5 was significant improvement-audio,recording,mixer,RackExtensions.
Now they are adding little elements to make it even better and make money.
They have big user base-they will pay and they must pay because last craced ver. of Reason was v5.

Reason Lover :)
reasonsl.gif

Last edited:
They did it again-simple video on youtube and I'm taking out my money.

MIDI out would be nice feature in 2000 (Reason 1), where people used hardware.
In 2013 most music is made inside the box. But I think I will use this feature- AKAI s950 sequencing drums, then recording into Reason.

Graphical EQ-Better now then never- i never liked MClass EQ it was hard finish eq-ing with one instacne(only 2 bands,2 other are LPF nad HPF)

Better Mixer- good idea.

I think that propellerheads don't know what to do: they are stuck.
Reason 6/6.5 was significant improvement-audio,recording,mixer,RackExtensions.
Now they are adding little elements to make it even better and make money.
They have big user base-they will pay and they must pay because last craced ver. of Reason was v5.

Reason Lover :)
reasonsl.gif
I am pretty sure 7 will be cracked since they are removing the dongle requirement. it will still use code meter but the dongle will be totally optional. I paid for Reason at version 2 and have paid for every update but I am looking forward to the dongle going away.

I am pretty sure 7 will be cracked since they are removing the dongle requirement. it will still use code meter but the dongle will be totally optional. I paid for Reason at version 2 and have paid for every update but I am looking forward to the dongle going away.

I think removing dongle was like:
CEO said "We talked with our customers :)". People don't like dongles.
If they are removing dongle they must be shure that R7 is uncracable.

What I don't like in piracy is that normal users must suffer because they bought original version.
(Dongles,registering,authorisiation)

To be correct about this: they are not removing the dongle as part of the authorisation.

What they are doing is offering you two ways to authorise the program
  1. via the dongle (meaning you can use it on any machine at any time with or without an internet connection) or
  2. authorise by machine.

This is not too dissimilar to the current regime of connecting to the propheadz website via the internet to have a one time authorisation of the program on a foreign machine (one that does not have your dongle connected).

If you choose to authorise a machine you become somewhat hamstrung.

If you need to move to a new machine you have to deauthorise the original machine first and then authorise the new machine.

If you kill a hard-drive that has been authorised, you could run into all sorts of problems of not being able to re-install the software. In fact it reminds me of the issues you could run into with authorising very old versions of Cubase on the mac - floppy authorisation code copied to the hard drive to activate; copied back to the floppy when deactivating - dead hard drive = lost licence/activation.

Last edited:
I got Reason 6, and i have a dongle, which looks nice and is my secret little baby i protect with my soul. I appreciate the opportunity to be working on another computer, or if i work in a place that dont have internet connection. But usually i dont need to worry about the dongle, because i mostly work at home with internetconnection. So i dont see the big problem/change here.. is they gonna change something with the metod their using now? I think it works pretty good. And its safe.

Im looking forward to the release, its gonna be good. I really wish i had like, uhm, a 40-for-free giftcard regarding spending money in the rack-extentions section. It nearly makes me horny.. yeah.. im a nerd, and for now, a poor 30day trial-junkie. Its so much good stuff between the crap.

Check this out. looks like a monster. 4Dyne - Shop - Propellerhead

When you can slice in the arranger window before you export to rex-format. THATS DOOOPE! Because i guess you can timestretch individual slices and then bring em all to the dr.rex. Thats what ive been lookin for.. and hoping they would do somthing like that. now dont go and disappoint me Reason

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Btw, is it now possible to sample from mpc into Reason in anyway? and what about the midi thing/hardware solution that comes with this update? im not an expert on this, enlighten me

I think removing dongle was like:
CEO said "We talked with our customers :)". People don't like dongles.
If they are removing dongle they must be shure that R7 is uncracable.

What I don't like in piracy is that normal users must suffer because they bought original version.
(Dongles,registering,authorisiation)
It wouldn't surprise me if it hurt sales also. People don't like dongles and probably looked for other dongle free tools.

i would have to agree with this... if you are just banging out beat after beat Reason is a good option... with the factory sound set, audio recording, time stretching, recycle/watered down recycle, dr. octrex/nnxt, and ssl mixer... you have everything you need to be creative...

after further investigation... i think MIDI OUT should be a rack extension and not part of the update/upgrade... sub-groups for the ssl mixer should be part of a free update/upgrade... i think Props should just charge users who want to use Reason without the dongle... i would pay $50 for that privilege...

personally, i use(d) Reason as a scratch pad app on a lappy... after spending some real time with Live 9 on my lappy... i cant justify spending $129 on the upgrade on Reason 7... not for MIDI OUT, sub groups on the ssl mixer, watered down recycle (i do not sample) and the ability to use Reason without a dongle... i have all of that in Live 9 plus access to stylus rmx, battery, omnisphere/trillian, reaktor, absynth, fm8, massive, izotope alloy 2 and ozone 5...

with all this said... if i was starting out... and only interested in banging out beat after beat... Reason is a nice option... it does have everything you need... and for the price point... you cant beat it!!!

yeah i totally agree with everything you said here.

If I were a Reason user.... it's feel that this should be a free upgrade instead of a paid for upgrade. That upgrade price is steep for these few features. They're "featureless" features to me to be honest lol. Not worth of a Reason 7 title IMHO. But definitely a solid add to Reason's capabilities.

The only reason I'm considering upgrading myself is so I can get 64bit ReWire support. That's literally it lol. I won't be using any of these features.... my DAW has a good external instrument workflow. I just miss being able to use Reason's instruments ever since I went full 64bit.

If I were using Reason only... and didn't have external synths (or plan to get)... i doubt i'd pay to have easy bus routing lmao

What? Midi out, Recycle integration and Spectrum Analyzer is not worth? You gotta be kidding me. And midi out is not something you can do as RE.
PS. The Reason 7 release date is 30th April.

No - I think midi out is something that could not be made with a RE (at least not yet).
And for stabilty reasons it's good that Props made it. You said, the features are in your other DAW, well, if you care to use Reason only it was a very good thing for the all passionated Reason users.

Midi out needs the Reason to send midi AND record the audio, this is not possible with RE's - you understand?
Maybe you have no problems but 50% has - so kudos to Props for quality coding.

Midi out needs the Reason to send midi AND record the audio, this is not possible with RE's - you understand?
Maybe you have no problems but 50% has - so kudos to Props for quality coding.
midi out has been stable for at least 20 years in all DAWs. It could have very well been a rack extension. hell Props said they were making all devices in Reason as rack extensions anyway because it will help them develop Reason in the future. My understanding is that all of the current modules will be RE in Reason 7 also but come in the box. That's what I heard anyway. There is no reason why midi out couldn't have been an RE since that's how its being presented anyway.

midi out has been stable for at least 20 years in all DAWs. It could have very well been a rack extension. hell Props said they were making all devices in Reason as rack extensions anyway because it will help them develop Reason in the future. My understanding is that all of the current modules will be RE in Reason 7 also but come in the box. That's what I heard anyway. There is no reason why midi out couldn't have been an RE since that's how its being presented anyway.

Tell me, how could the RE developers code Recording function into Reason when making a midi out device?

not sure what this question is... rack extensions are subprograms... subprograms are like having the same code in the main program... i.e. the pulverizer, echo, and alligatar are rack extensions but hard coded into the the main program... only differences is that subprograms are called from the main programs... i.e. predator...

therefore... MIDI OUT could in theory be a rack extension... MIDI OUT is only computer code... whether hard coded in the main program i.e. Reason... or call from the main program i.e. Reason... the function would act the same...

do some research on dynamic link libraries... i.e. dll... and see how they work!!!

My question is that: when midi is sent to control harware synth, it would need audio in integration to Reason audio track and that should only be able to be made by the Props. No?

there is no relationship between MIDI data being sent to a hardware device and audio... the way MIDI OUT would would is... you hit a note on your controller i.e. keyboard or pads... the data of what note you hit, how hard you hit it and how long you hit it will be sent to the hardware device... period... there is no relationship between MIDI data and audio data...

in other word... the user has to figure out a way to bring the audio back into Reason... Reason 7 does not have the function of bringing the audio from your hardware back into Reason...

Are you sure? So people who will use Reason 7 only, can't get the hardware sound into Reason?

in Reason 7... the users would have to find a way to route the output of the hardware audio back into Reason... one way i could see doing this is... take the output of the hardware... connect that to a mixer... than back into your soundcard... into Reason...

do you know how MIDI OUT works?

I have been thinking that you make sequences with Reason sequencer, send the midi into a hardware synth, and then send the audio to Reason and record it. The audio of the synth would be sent into your audio interface which you'd record with Reason.

back to the orginal question... yes!!! MIDI OUT could be a rack extension!!! the computer software code of the rack extension for MIDI OUT would just send MIDI data to your hardware device!!! period!!!

Why would that be needed when Props already did that?

Tell me, how could the RE developers code Recording function into Reason when making a midi out device?
midi out has nothing to do with recording. its just sending a signal so all it has to do is receive the signal. Besides that what's stopping Props themselves from making it an RE since they can pretty much do whatever they want with the software?

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:05 PM ----------

My question is that: when midi is sent to control harware synth, it would need audio in integration to Reason audio track and that should only be able to be made by the Props. No?
no not at all because midi and audio do not need each other to exist. For example you can sequence Reason on hardware synths and samplers now and have been able to for some time but Reason does not have midi out and you could record the sequences into a Reason audio track now. The difference is now it will be possible to sequence those things in the Reason sequencer. It has nothing to do with audio. Even something as simple as motorized faders which contain no audio data but require midi out for the faders to move is very possible again without audio. Midi is more than just synths and samplers. Its an on off switch that is all so in theory again yes it could have been an RE.

Back