Reason 4?

I seriously doubt that Record will sound as good as either of those because of the difference in the amount of money that the products cost, but then again, I haven't read or heard of a side by side comparison yet either.

Cost has nothing to do with quality. Many times you can use that thinking with hardware but in the world of software this is often not the case. I know of free plugs that sound way better than very expensive ones. Also, since technology is constantly advancing and modeling techniques are getting better, many times the newest emulation is the best. And I have had a chance to use the mixer in Record and it does sound very good.

Fair enough. I should not have said that the new mixer in Record doesn't sound good. That's not what I meant at all. I'm just not sure how much it sounds like an SSL. I think that the plug ins that actually carry the SSL logo probably sound more like an SSL than Record.

But once again, I haven't read any side by side comparisons.

I would like to see a comparison of an SSL 9000, Duende, Waves SSL collection, and Record. That would be a good read.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I should not have said that the new mixer in Record doesn't sound good. That's not what I meant at all. I'm just not sure how much it sounds like an SSL. I think that the plug ins that actually carry the SSL logo probably sound more like an SSL than Record.

But once again, I haven't read any side by side comparisons.

I would like to see a comparison of an SSL 9000, Duende, Waves SSL collection, and Record. That would be a good read.

The people at Propellerhead didn't care about getting SSL to endores. They go on record saying that. They just wanted to model a great mixing board and decided that they would go with a SSL board despite whether or not they would be endorsed. It still sounds very SSL ish and very clean. The bus compressor is great.

I have a copy of the beta for Record, but I don't have anything to compare it too (Waves or a real SSL). I'm sure that once it's officially released, someone will compare the two.

Like I said, I don't think the mixer sounds bad, but I find it hard to believe that it will sound as SSLish as a real SSL or even the Waves/Duende plug ins. If that's the case, everyone will start mixing in Record and stemming everything back through whatever host they want (Pro Tools, Logic, Live, etc) just to get that SSL sound. (Actually, that's what I was going to do anyway. For $150, why not? It's a hell of a lot cheaper!)

Last edited:
Back