Reaper Playback Trouble

Star11

I'm pretty new to the whole music production game, so I don't know quite as much about my DAW as I should. That being said, let's say I record something in Reaper. Once I play it back, it sounds really buzzy and crunchy. You can't really hear any of the original sounds, just buzzes and crackles. Any ideas on what's wrong? Maybe I'm just missing something really dumb. Anything helps, thanks.

Buffer issues perhaps.
Might not have an interface do you?
Do you use asio4all?

An intel atom[tablet] can do 50ms latency at 1.8 ghz.
an i3 can do 12ms at 1ghz.
an a8 can do 12ms at 1ghz

i7s would be pulling 32 samples at 1ghz.

I do have an interface (Focusrite Scarlett Solo if that's important at all, but it still happens whether I use it or not). And no I just use WaveOut. And sorry for my incompetence; what is the significance of the latencies? I have an i7 processor.

Last edited:
More details would be very helpful in troubleshooting - system hardware specs (processor, memory, storage), os type and version, screenshots of your Reaper audio preferences. On windows 10, make sure you are using the latest 2.5.2 drivers from Focusrite, required for Solo. Try creating a new project, new track, and drag any known good .wav file into the track - does it play? Also, the best source of Reaper info is their very active forum.

Edit - here's a Reaper video on how to set up your audio interface.

Last edited:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4500U CPU @ 1.80 GHz 2.40 GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB (7.88 GB usable)
OS Build: 10586.122

I know it's not a problem with the interface because after encountering this problem on Reaper I tested it on Audacity and it worked just fine. I tried dragging an audio file into the track and the same problem occurred.
Reaper Screenshot.png
Reaper Screenshot 2.png

Last edited:
I can't say I'd be super clued in about the evolution of Windows' audio output systems as of late, but waveOut is super ancient, and definitely not meant for latency-free realtime output.

Also not much point in running @ 48kHz, unless you're doing something that specifically requires this.

Back