Real Discussion....

neverenoughfunk

what is workflow?

we have all of these products (i.e. cubase, live, RnR, sonar, studio 1, DP, reaper, etc) that basically do the same thing but i keep "hearing" the word "workflow"...

hence this thread...

what is workflow?

the ease of use....how intuitive a setup works.....you know the brain busting feeling of frustration you get when you're trying to figure out how to do something when you're trying to create music? an absence of that.

it has almost as much to do with experience as it does with software design, but the key is to understand the kind of music you'd like to create then find and understand the correct tools to do so.

Last edited:
The answer to this question is very simple:

Workflow is how fast you can go from an idea in your head to the result you wanted to achieve.

The answer to this question is very simple:

Workflow is how fast you can go from an idea in your head to the result you wanted to achieve.

Beautiful explanation. The only thing I would add to it is how enjoyable the experience of getting there is.

The literal process. What buttons you have to press to achieve a desired function.

For example. To add an instrument in Cubase, you can either use the F11 feature.. or you can right click and add instrument. In Studio One... you drag and drop.

That's a workflow difference.

In both programs... you can press the (.) or space to play back the session. That's their workflow.

Back