Rap/Hip-Hop strings VST?

T

trumindz

I've got a bunch of strings VST's, but I'm looking for those specific string stabs that are used frequently in Rap/Hip-Hop music i.e. (How We Do, Forgot About Dre etc). Does anyone know if there's such VST out there?

DiaboliC said:
Make ur own

Yes, that's an option, but I said I'd like those other strings SPECIFICALLY. I believe they're from a Triton...? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Forgot about Dre strings were recorded live. They're real strings.

Really? They sounded a bit keyboard-ish to me though... Maybe it's the way Dre EQ'd 'em...

keyboardish? if anything its everyone else's that sound keyboardish lol! ;)

ruptured said:
Forgot about Dre strings were recorded live. They're real strings.

Forgot About Dre featuring Eminem
Written By Eminem
Bass: Mike Elizondo
Guitar: Sean Cruse
Keyboards: Camara Kambon

Sampled No Doubt's "The Climb"

Do your homework.

Strings like that you have to make. Many ways to go about getting that sound

Stacking- Eq- compression- Gating reverb *controlling how long that instrument hangs in the air*

You prolly have the tools needed to get there just lack the knowledge.

There isn't a specific vst you need just need a program or sound CD with clean instruments the rest is up to your tweaking.

Last edited:
i'm afraid your wrong ghost300. perhaps you should listen to the original sample enough to know there are no marcato strings present.

And enough to know Dre DOES use live instrumentation, (as well as his keyboardists, bassists and drum programmers). Don't rely on credit notes to inform you on the foundation of a song.

Cyko said:
Strings like that you have to make. Many ways to go about getting that sound

Stacking- Eq- compression- Gating reverb *controlling how long that instrument hangs in the air*

You prolly have the tools needed to get there just lack the knowledge.

There isn't a specific vst you need just need a program or sound CD with clean instruments the rest is up to your tweaking.

Thanks for the tip.

I must say, if Dre used real string players for that he wasted a ton of money. Just like Linkin Park wasted that money when they recorded faint. I've heard better sampled strings in Dimension than the players sound on both those songs...if the Dre song really did use a string section that is...

Not impressed. simply adjusting asdr envelopes can achieve that and I hope everyone knows that string presets in romplers are made from real players with real instruments as well.

Last edited:
Trusty said:
I must say, if Dre used real string players for that he wasted a ton of money. Just like Linkin Park wasted that money when they recorded faint. I've heard better sampled strings in Dimension than the players sound on both those songs...if the Dre song really did use a string section that is...

Not impressed. simply adjusting asdr envelopes can achieve that and I hope everyone knows that string presets in romplers are made from real players with real instruments as well.

That's what I'm talking about, the strings didn't sound very realistic to me, but they did sound hot though.

Edirol Orchestral or Reason will have the sound you are looking for. The ones in Dr. Dre's song WERE from a triton. It's a preset I beleive "sectional strings" or "string sectional"or something to that effect(can't remember the exact name). That's fact whether you beleive it or not. I've heard it replayed to the exact key a million times. Once again people choose to render this, compress that, eq those, and end up with something not even close rather than digging up the preset.

Out of the 800 video tutorials you've ever watched have you ever seen anyone compress anything? Tweak anything? Or do they just skip thru presets until they find one?

Last edited:
deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
Edirol Orchestral or Reason will have the sound you are looking for. The ones in Dr. Dre's song WERE from a triton. It's a preset I beleive "sectional strings" or "string sectional"or something to that effect(can't remember the exact name). That's fact whether you beleive it or not. I've heard it replayed to the exact key a million times. Once again people choose to render this, compress that, eq those, and end up with something not even close rather than digging up the preset.

Out of the 800 video tutorials you've ever watched have you ever seen anyone compress anything? Tweak anything? Or do they just skip thru presets until they find one?

I knew it! :D

Thanks for clearing that out.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:

Both actually especially when not dealing with the same soundbanks.(especially when those soundbanks have layers/fx on them)

Last edited:
Dre is probably too uncreative that he got people to play him those 4,5 primitive notes. Hip Hop doesn't require as much mental effort and creativity as other cetagories of music like metal and such and those lame producers still pay other people money to play a 5-10 second "Sample".

I do all music, I can vouche rock/metal takes the same talentless effort. All you have to be able to do is pay 1 instrument in key with everyone else. Everyone's Dre haters, the guy on the drum machine in linkin park is the "producer" but don't the other guys play drums, guitar, and keyboard? I'm not going down this road again. FPers need to get off that bullsh**

Let's not turn this into another "Dre is overrated" thread.

Ontopic: I sure wish they made a Triton emulator in VST form. I can't afford a regular Triton. :(

Back