ram efficient

bkhi

I'm debating between using live 9 or fruity loops 12. which daw is more ram efficient. i use both versions 32bit and i'm on a shitty laptop and need to be as efficient as possible with cpu

I'm not sure about all the processing/memory features of Live, but I can speak to the efficiency of FL studio, especially 10 and above. I run FL on both my monster machine (32 gigs of ddr3, 8cores (at) 4.8ghz), as well as a little 8-gig ddr3, intel i5 lappy. FL studio has a lot of "smart" processing such as "Auto Disable", the ability to ignore inactive i/o's, forced buffer sizes and offsets, the list goes on. All of these features make for a very efficient studio that can squeeze every last drop of juice out of any machine.

Another great feature of FL studio is it's method of core/thread use. If you had a 4-core machine, the main mixer tracks are tasked out to all 4 cores evenly (or 2, 6, 8...etc), thus always ensuring an even load. This means you can have a lot of tracks without necessarily blowing up your system resources.

As a tip, an easy way to avoid the quick Ram and CPU death that a load of VSTs can cause, is to simply render a VST track to audio as soon as you're done composing with it. It's far lighter on the system to play an audio file than live processing a fully-effected VST synth/sampler.

Hope some of this helped. :)

Back