Question...Padkontrol or mpc 2000xl?

hotcreations

I have reason and cubase right now and a keyboard midi controller...i was wanting to get a pad based sampler...would i be better with a mpc or something like the padkontrol?

If i get the mpc will i be able to add my drums and song samples in cubase, then add the keys and horns and such in reason via rewiring through cubase?

Thanks in advance for the input...

You have Reason, Cubase, and a MIDI Keyboard. A PadKontrol is the most logical choice there. It'd be a killer combination. The only reason for having the MPC really would be to take some of the load off of the CPU as far as drums and sampling, but then you'd have to track it into Cubase, etc. Better off with a drum controller like the PadKontrol. That's a hell of a set-up right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
If I was in your position, id choose the MPC. If you get a good deal on an MPC - say a 2000/2000xl - it will never go down in value (given how low 2nd hand prices are now). The pad control will definitely lose value over the next year/18 months, when the next newer pad controller is released (just look at whats happened to the prices of MPD16's since they were released).
You'll be able to use the MPC in the same way as a pad control (ie. control your soft synth drums over midi) - BUT, you will have that added flexibility if you chose to do your drums and sequencing in the MPC.
Before I started to build my studio, i had the same dilemma as you. I was thinking - shall i invest in MPD16/drum controller or...One of the first real pieces of gear was an 2000XL. Got me hooked on hardware & I've never looked back.. (and yes, i have all the soft synths too).

Another thing, the feel of the MPC pads - you just cant beat them. Its a living instrument!

If you get the padkontrol you would have the exact same setup that i do. I really like it because i can do pretty much whatever i want. My only problem is recycle and reason sampler nnxt. They both work great and give you a ton of control over sample manipulation, but i personally want that combination in one package. Right now i have to record into cubase, render that down to a file, Import into recycle, chop it, then back into cubase and reason where i create my nnxt patch. Don't get me wrong this has worked well for me and having all my nnxt patches a few clicks away is great, but the idea of chopping and pad assignment being in one machine is very appealing to me. How important is that to you??

Back