Question about DAWS

Skorr

Aspiring Producer
I am a beginner trying to learn how to learn production software, specifically ableton (Which I've heard is the most useful but also the hardest to learn) and was wondering if it would be better for me to use other software first such as fruity loops or other daws to get my foot in the door and start making beats... Any tips/ advice would be much appreciated...

[Preference]

No daw is the hardest, but many daws have some features not present in others in the box.
The only person who can choose is you, there are free trials of almost every popular and obscure daw out there to try out but it would be wise to watch tutorials on the ones that look interesting by design and workflow.

[No set way]

It does not matter what daw is the "first" all that matters is if learning one daw helps you understand in general how daws are usually laid out and how to associate the functions across the board, which is basically just memorizing menus when it comes to the navigation aspect.

[Types of daws]

Pattern-based[Fl studio/ableton/lmms]
Timeline- based[reason/studio one/cubase]

Last edited:
Thank you that helps a lot Kang!

I am very pattern based and since posting I've learned more about ableton and am willing to stick with it! thanks for the advice!

People usually use a certain DAW because it was introduced to them first, or they like the workflow, etc. For example I was introduced to FL 7-8 years ago, I knew of no other program or what DAW even stood for so I just went with it. It would make more sense for me to just stay with it at this point since I'm so comfortable with it and I'm still learning to this day.

I hear Abelton is pretty good at live performance stuff IIRC, and FL is good at constructing patterns, melodies, etc. I say pick one you like best and fits your flow and go with it.

I wouldn't say ableton was the hardest to learn, it has a very intuitive lay out, many things simplified. FL used to be the easiest but now I'd say they're all quite similar. It was only the easiest as for what it offered to the beginner first turning it on, now they've added way more stuff. Easier usually means less control of complicated features that people may need. Stuff that a beginner won't need to worry about.

Who ever led you to believe Ableton was the most useful was misguiding you. There are many deep down features that things like FL and Ableton do not offer when compared to Cubase etc.

But what is better for you is entirely relative, it's subjective to you...

This might seem silly but for now go with the one you like the look of best. You will be looking at it for a long time and at this stage, it's the main difference.

I wouldn't say ableton was the hardest to learn, it has a very intuitive lay out, many things simplified. FL used to be the easiest but now I'd say they're all quite similar. It was only the easiest as for what it offered to the beginner first turning it on, now they've added way more stuff. Easier usually means less control of complicated features that people may need. Stuff that a beginner won't need to worry about.

Who ever led you to believe Ableton was the most useful was misguiding you. There are many deep down features that things like FL and Ableton do not offer when compared to Cubase etc.

But what is better for you is entirely relative, it's subjective to you...

This might seem silly but for now go with the one you like the look of best. You will be looking at it for a long time and at this stage, it's the main difference.

+1

Started on FL 11 for about 2 months.

Decided it was really not for me.

Downloaded a lot of DEMOS for Audacity, Reaper, Presonus Studio One and Sony Acid.

Decided those were not for me either.

Downloaded the 30 day free trial of Ableton Live 9.

HAVE NOT LOOKED BACK SINCE !!!

Its been 6 months since I downloaded Ableton. Still using the free version.

Ableton disables saving/exporting but everything else like importing, editing, unlimited track count, all instruments/sounds/samples/presets, settings and preferences.....ALL STILL WORKS.

Even though I can't save or export anything I do...I mainly use my free version of Ableton as a "Teacher" / "Instructor" and basically a learning tool right now. So...I don't really need to save my stuff because right now I am mainly aiming to learn the basic theories, principles and concepts of whatever it is I want/need to learn inside Ableton and get those down first. Than...when I know I am ready...I will upgrade to the standard version.

ABLETON is definitely my MAIN DAW! Honestly...when I look at other DAWs now...I "cringe". Ableton is a GODSEND for me and honestly....I fall in love with it more, each and every time I use it because I find something new or something that helps me understand music production/theories/concepts in a way that is easy and intuitive.

Sorry if this sounded like a sales pitch to anyone else reading that uses any other DAW besides Ableton. (I don't work for Ableton)

My 2cents.

Last edited:
Started with Fruity Loops when I was really young. Made a few cheesy songs but completely stopped one day. Heard about Ableton years later, tried it out and haven't looked back since. I found Ableton to be easier to understand and more capable. I don't see myself using anything else for many years.

I use FL, and think you can do anything on it. But other DAWs have their benefit, so its good to use a few of them (each for what their benefit is). Although I only use FL now, I may start exporting the beats and melodies I create into other DAWs to finalize the mixing and mastering.

It's up to you T.hey'e all good. You just have to take the time to learn how to do the important techniques in the one(s) you choose.

Last edited:
Back