Quantize that never seems to work in my case

AKStyleZ

Ima get straight to the point, when Ive done a drumloop in Reason then selecting the midi notes and press quantize it gets wrong everytime.
Ive tried all setups, 1/8, 1/16 and what have you but still it gets wrong.
I cant see how quantize would be applied in my case when I got a perfect loop thats maybe some procentage off without me being able to hear it even.

So instead Ive endup doin calculations in Reason to get them all right and comparing the drums to the bass and using it as reference for each midi note in the loop.
Isnt that some radicilous **** lol

record with the magnet on and everything snaps to the grid anyways... quantize in reason isn't really needed if you snap to grid and us the regroove... read ur manual for further instructions...good luck....

I never took one look at the manual, learned everything the hard way, trial and error :|. But actually I did read the section about quantizing once but couldnt apply it the way I wanted too.
Anyways ima try it out, as im never using the regroove with drums.
Thx man

Last edited:
actually... if you choose to at least, try and record your drums with the magnet on 1/32 or 1/64 and you'll find a section that might just lay right for you and copy and paste that along the song... I do that alot to find those accidental pieces of greatness.....

Last edited:
Ima try this out tonight if I get some time over, sittin here doin a mf 13h shift... : |
Thx man for real, cuz as it looks right now im spending time messing around with things I shouldnt even need to mess with you know.
Ima let u kno how it went lata

Last edited:
Cuz Im a perfectionist, at times its like Im doubhting what im hearing so I rather have it all quantized you know, i know about the downfall of that. You sayin I shouldnt give a damn about it and just keep doing what im doing?

I never took one look at the manual, learned everything the hard way, trial and error :|. But actually I did read the section about quantizing once but couldnt apply it the way I wanted too.
Anyways ima try it out, as im never using the regroove with drums.
Thx man

Reading the manual is always a good thing. Reason's manual is actually one of the better ones that I have come in contact with. I really don't see why or how you can't apply the quantize the way you wanted to. Are you sure that what you want to do is quantize?

I guess I just want to make the pattern 100% flawless.

Example

_ _ _ _ _

the first _ might be set at 1.1.1.1, the second at 1.1.1.3 the fourth 1.1.1.9, but its all good cuz you cant hear it. I just want all of them at x.x.x.1.

Problem is when I fix this in Reason its not that simple cuz its 1 - 245 if im not wrong, the range of value. So I end up doing something like aiit 80-34 = 46 ok find the right drum note, apply the same settin on the bass - 46... you hear how it sounds? lol

Ive gotten pretty used to it pretty quick nowadays.
Just the other day I thought like heck I need to start makin things more easier for myself and this is def one of those things.
Ye I printed out the manual i started to read it but stopped cuz i had no papers to print it on (baddest excuse i know), anyways then when i got some i forgot about it and just kept doing what i was doing.

update :
kb420 wasnt it you that yelled at me for not readin the manual like a year bk? lol

Last edited:
First of all you don't want to quanitize if you can't hear that it's off. That's how you suck the life out of a track. There is a lot of bad info here. To quanitize in Reason you just click on the clip you want to quanitize and then hit F8. Then click on the quanitization tab and then select the resolution, usually 1/8 for kick and claps, 1/16 for high hats, and such. Then click on the clip again just to make sure and then hit the apply button.

If you were suppose to quanitize everything why would they include other percentages? Don't use 100% unless you absoultly need to. The imperfections is what makes music great.

First of all you don't want to quanitize if you can't hear that it's off. That's how you suck the life out of a track. There is a lot of bad info here. To quanitize in Reason you just click on the clip you want to quanitize and then hit F8. Then click on the quanitization tab and then select the resolution, usually 1/8 for kick and claps, 1/16 for high hats, and such. Then click on the clip again just to make sure and then hit the apply button.

If you were suppose to quanitize everything why would they include other percentages? Don't use 100% unless you absoultly need to. The imperfections is what makes music great.
Ait, ye I read about the thing you say about sucking life out of the beat. I dont rly get it though, I mean if it has a nice flow to it and all and is quantized in perfection, how can it suck the life out of the beat. You sayin that if its not perfect to 100% you can really hear it and feel it but yet it dont sound like its out of range?
Im not sayin against you, Im just tryin to understand how it works when it comes to sucking the life out of a track and making it monotious or however you spell that word.
Thx fo tip Morning

Was it?

LOL!!!!

Well, like I said, it never hurts!

ye lol its ait though, I appriciated it, man you made me make use of my last papaaa lmao
I gotta print out the whole manual, cuz I feel like studyin this and that wont give me s*** as long as im not feelin like home im Reason.
I know my stuff, but thats exactly the prob, cuz I tend to stay within that safe area of mine instead of experiencing with the other tools like regroove for example.
Cant wait for the weekend to arrive.. new monitors and bk to da reason manual ;>

Last edited:
Cuz Im a perfectionist, at times its like Im doubhting what im hearing so I rather have it all quantized you know, i know about the downfall of that. You sayin I shouldnt give a damn about it and just keep doing what im doing?

You have to change that cause you will never finish a project. You dont want it 100% on anyhow that's too mechanical sounding.

Back