Propellerheads Reason 9 || Anyone tried it yet ?

SimonGeezz

Music Enthusiast
Hi guys,

just wanted to have your impressions on the new Reason 9 software. Has anyone upgraded from 8 to it ?

Is it worth it ?

Would like to have some feedback on its stability and new features, before proceeding.

I am on Mac OS X El Capitan.

Thanks,
Simon

-- Free Agents Productions . com --

i upgraded to 9 and was a bit skeptically first. but now i would recommend it. even if you know a lot of music theory, the players can help to create some new ideas that wouldn't have discovered without them. the pitch editing works very good. audio to midi works good. i hope there will be support for polyphonic audio in the future! the new patches... some of them are fucking nuts, others are a bit boring or not useful. but i guess it depends on what style you're producing.

the cpu usage and stability isn't any different to version 8.x, but i'm still running yosemite, so i can't tell anything about el capitan.

sticking to 8 till a feauture I really want comes or reason 10 comes out.
If I ever see 'wait for midi' in any version of reason, instant upgradeeeeeee

sticking to 8 till a feauture I really want comes or reason 10 comes out.
If I ever see 'wait for midi' in any version of reason, instant upgradeeeeeee

What's 'wait for midi'?

It is the best update since Reason 7.

8 was ok but a bit of a let down. I did get 8 but simply because I was on 6.5 and it was worth it with 7 thrown in as well. I upgraded to 7 as Reason 8 was free after a certain date and got to play with Reason 7 for a couple of weeks before 8.

I will admit though, I'm waiting for a point or point update/s myself which addresses a few minor-medium issues for me. There's about 20 little features (midi editing, mixer issues (ganged faders for one), notepad, undo events list etc) I would like to see added in a 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 version.

If they get addressed I'll upgrade.

Then when Reason 10 gets released, probably by about end of next year, with some big features like audiowarp, pitch correction / audio to midi in polyphonic, punch in/out, tempo detect and fit to tempo for audio, pdc/adc, freezing of tracks, SDK III Re format with notes / patterns to track, LED ring and light displays, sample and impulse loading and then the Props could give us a decent granular synth with sample loading, then a transient designer device, vectorscope, multimeter and a Step Sequencer player to add to the players, also maybe a couple more themes and the themes affect the mixer too. We will then see a very powerful Reason to then compete against the likes of Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic and FL Studio.

Last edited:
Might skip 9 since I don't see wait for midi or a better piano roll.
Current reason doesn't show the notes you press when you hold a key[In other daws the note changes animation to pressed when you're note pecking not in reason]
But everything else in reason I like more than most other daws.

Never grab updates back to back. You always skip 1 or 2 and that gives you a much better improvement for your money.

Such as R6>R8 or R7>R9 they purposely space these updates out, even when the programming and technology is already there. If they can charge you $150 two times....... they will.

If you are smart, those 5 minor upgrades/features can wait for the next version and your getting 10 upgrades/features for $150, instead of coughing up $300.

I have a different view on it. I usually get every update for 2 reasons. I like to keep up to date,be able to use the new features, have time to learn how to operate those new features, AND, I'm a gigantic fan of what propellerhead gives me and I really like to support them and give them the possibility to keep making things better. 130 bucks is not that much money imo.

I've been interested in getting Reason for a long time, the only thing stopped me was you can't use 3rd party plugs with it. I've tried version 5 awhile back and I liked it. Currently I use Logic Pro X,Maschine MK2, Komplete 9 and a Nektar Panorama P4 midi keyboard. Would you recommend Reason 9 for a new user and or what are the benefits of using Reason over Logic maybe even switching

I personally loooovvveee the workflow in reason, and many features.

I use reason, in rewire in Logic Pro X, so I benefit the vst's (kontakt) while maintaining the workflow of reason. You should look into that! ;)

At everyone that replied, I think I'll wait a little, but will definitely upgrade my Reason version in the next months or so.

Simon Geezz
Free Agents Productions
www.freeagentsproductions.com

Last edited:
Reason's vst module is the external midi module. Reason handles vsts by host process or rewire.
On version 8 myself and rewire into studio one for my preferred workflow.

I recently took the leap from Reason 5 to Reason 9. The Players rack device is the answer to producer's block.

Dual Arpeggio
Dual Arpeggio has 2 arpeggiators that I can customize separately. I use this when I'm fresh out of ideas for melodies.

Scales & Chords Player
Scales & Chords allows me to play notes or chords while staying true to a musical scale. It's not for everyone, but I like to keep my rap beats in minor scales.

Note Echo Player
I haven't used Note Echo yet, so I can't speak on it. I plan on using it to add some variation to my sounds once I have it down.

Pitch Editor
I normally use Adobe Audition for vocals, but I might check out their Pitch Editor. Not all rappers are known for their singing so this is a welcomed feature for me. I won't be making that move from Adobe until they have background noise reduction though... especially since I live close to a freeway.

MIDI
Reversing MIDI clips is a brilliant idea, IMHO. That's something I never thought about.
MIDI Note Stretch was introduced before Reason 9, but it's the "reason" why I upgraded. It takes sampling ancient music to a whole new level.

Last edited:
I upgraded recently and I have to say I am really enjoying it. I jumped from 6 to 9 and the progression is amazing! thoroughly recommend.

Skipping reason 9 because the jump from 5 to 8 was huge to me.
Reason 9's new features are just:
A dual rpg-8/matrix.
A chord/scale plug which is a rack extension I think
Rack extensions not being bundled with reason 9 [Propellerhead, add more modules like expanse as default devices, not these arbitrary additions]

But if you are moving from reason 5-7 to reason 9, do it because it would be a gigantic leap forward for you [Even if you already know what you're doing in the first place]

Back