Propellerhead Reason - THE SOUND QUALITY

Status
Not open for further replies.
we all read what we want to read

I'm critical of FL but I have a long base of daw use to back up my criticisms; the implementation and presentation of features is overwhelming for a beginner or an experienced sw based engineer/composer alike; the interface is little short of laughable, failing most of the basic concepts of HUI, and the features are either hidden or get in the way, both approaches making it difficult to actually get it to work well at any given task.

I started using daws in 1987 and have continued to do so as they have grown in complexity and features,

I am not critical of Reason to the extent that I am of FL, I understand what I want to do and I understand how Reason allows me to do that, some of the implementation is niggly, but it is well crafted and engineered nonetheless

I do not limit myself to one daw (I also use cubase, audacity, pd and BiaB); each of my daw's suffers from flaws and idiosyncracies; but I do not blame them for my failing to produce well-crafted products;

So, conclusion is that if somebody dares to criticise some DAW he is definitely lacking of talent... nice...

In my opinion DAWs are nothing more than just tools for producing music and they don't have anything with someones talent level. One can like one tool better and be more productive with it and that's basically it.

No, when you blame the softwares sound engine for as you put it "not sounding like it should" (whatever that means) it does say something about the person's level of talent.

And it does have everything to do with a persons talent even though all DAWs are just tools. That's why Avicii makes hits with FL Studio and sells out shows all over the globe where as everyone else on this forum that loves FL Studio can't even sell out their living rooms.

It might be that I skipped posts where that is stated, but I didn't notice that anyone is blaming DAW for not being able to produce what he wants. I guess everybody has his favourite DAW(s) and good reasons why he chose them.

PS
I like Reason better than FL, but both are not the ones I would use for making music.

I don't know, maybe it is possible to make Reason to sound like it should but I know that the biggest reason for me to give it up was fight I had with its sound engine. Second reason was lack of VST support ...

Actually... it was you bro.

No, when you blame the softwares sound engine for as you put it "not sounding like it should" (whatever that means) it does say something about the person's level of talent.

And it does have everything to do with a persons talent even though all DAWs are just tools. That's why Avicii makes hits with FL Studio and sells out shows all over the globe where as everyone else on this forum that loves FL Studio can't even sell out their living rooms.

There are quite some professionals out there that are using different DAW for making their music. If someone of them would criticise other DAW, would you conclude that he is lacking of talent?

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

Actually... it was you bro.

How is that? I'm not using Reason for years and definitely not blaming it for anything. I used it years back when there were no too much alternatives. But now I found DAWs I like better.

Last edited:
There are quite some professionals out there that are using different DAW for making their music. If someone of them would criticise other DAW, would you conclude that he is lacking of talent?

Of course they use different DAWs. I've seen tons of videos where producers jump back and forth from Logic to Ableton or Cubase. But not once have I ever heard anyone complain about it's sound engine or the other DAW not sounding "the way it should".

It's always because some functions like audio editing creating loops are easier in another DAW. Armin van Buuren goes from Logic to Ableton to make loops for his songs because it's easier. Benga goes from Logic to FL Studio to program his drums then imports them because he finds it easier. NOT because they just don't sound right in the other DAW.

---------- Post added at 06:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

First you said:

I don't know, maybe it is possible to make Reason to sound like it should but I know that the biggest reason for me to give it up was fight I had with its sound engine. Second reason was lack of VST support ...

Then you said:

It might be that I skipped posts where that is stated, but I didn't notice that anyone is blaming DAW for not being able to produce what he wants. I guess everybody has his favourite DAW(s) and good reasons why he chose them.

PS
I like Reason better than FL, but both are not the ones I would use for making music.

Then you said:

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

How is that? I'm not using Reason for years and definitely not blaming it for anything. I used it years back when there were no too much alternatives. But now I found DAWs I like better.

See?

Of course they use different DAWs. I've seen tons of videos where producers jump back and forth from Logic to Ableton or Cubase. But not once have I ever heard anyone complain about it's sound engine or the other DAW not sounding "the way it should".

It's always because some functions like audio editing creating loops are easier in another DAW. Armin van Buuren goes from Logic to Ableton to make loops for his songs because it's easier. Benga goes from Logic to FL Studio to program his drums then imports them because he finds it easier. NOT because they just don't sound right in the other DAW.

You might be right I don't know. Maybe it was just me not being able to find how to do it right in Reason. But still, I heard same complains about Reason's sound from different artists which makes me think that it is not just me...

You might be right I don't know. Maybe it was just me not being able to find how to do it right in Reason. But still, I heard same complains about Reason's sound from different artists which makes me think that it is not just me...

Maybe in versions 1 and 2. That's definitely not the case now.

I started my first post like: "I don't know, maybe it is possible to make Reason to sound like it should ...".

So, I didn't say it is not possible or blamed it for anything. I just gave up at some point because in other DAW(s) I didn't have those kind of issues. It was maybe only me, but since than I have seen same complains from different people.

Last edited:
"I don't know, maybe it is possible to make Reason to sound like it should but I know that the biggest reason for me to give it up was fight I had with its sound engine."

That's what you said. I'm quoting your own words, man.

Last edited:
"I don't know, maybe it is possible to make Reason to sound like it should but I know that the biggest reason for me to give it up was fight I had with its sound engine."

That's what you said. I'm quoting your own words, man.

Yes and if there was some unclarity in my first post I hope I explained in details in my last couple of posts what I exactly meant.

If by clarity you mean changing your story. sure.

:) Ok, lets simplify it.

I don't like Reason because I think there is something wrong with its sound engine and because it doesn't support VST plugins. Last time I actively used reason was about 10 years ago so it might be that something changed in the meantime that makes me now wrong in my opinion. BUT, I'm still seeing people posting about Reason's "specific" sound which makes me think that Reason still have same issues as before.

It might be that I skipped posts where that is stated, but I didn't notice that anyone is blaming DAW for not being able to produce what he wants...

And now:

:) Ok, lets simplify it.

I don't like Reason because I think there is something wrong with its sound engine and because it doesn't support VST plugins. Last time I actively used reason was about 10 years ago so it might be that something changed in the meantime that makes me now wrong in my opinion. BUT, I'm still seeing people posting about Reason's "specific" sound which makes me think that Reason still have same issues as before.

Yes, I've also read other people's complaint's about Reason's supposed "sound", and they're all from this forum. And those comments are coming from misinformed and inexperienced individuals. This is FP, not gearslutz. You're not going to find professionals posting on here. Sorry.

And now:

Yes, I've also read other people's complaint's about Reason's supposed "sound", and they're all from this forum. And those comments are coming from misinformed and inexperienced individuals. This is FP, not gearslutz. You're not going to find professionals posting on here. Sorry.

Its pointless to continue arguing about it. I already said what I had to say and I don't want to repeat myself (again).

At the end, there is a trial version of Reason so anyone interested in it can try it out and see if he likes it or not. "Specific" sound of Reason might be purely subjective matter, or if not, maybe that "specific" sound is exactly what someone would want from DAW for style of music he is making ...

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

There is actually topic on gearslutz about how Reason 6 sounds better than Reason 5:

man does reason 6 sound good!!!! - Gearslutz.com

Its pointless to continue arguing about it. I already said what I had to say and I don't want to repeat myself (again).

At the end, there is a trial version of Reason so anyone interested in it can try it out and see if he likes it or not. "Specific" sound of Reason might be purely subjective matter, or if not, maybe that "specific" sound is exactly what someone would want from DAW for style of music he is making ...

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 02:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 AM ----------

There is actually topic on gearslutz about how Reason 6 sounds better than Reason 5:

man does reason 6 sound good!!!! - Gearslutz.com

Sorry, you lose again. Those are fanboys on the electronic dance section of Gearslutz. How about we get the answer straight from the horses mouth? i.e. propellerheads themselves.

From twitter:
Twitter / PropellerheadSW: @larrytans It's a misconception, ...

Propellerhead forums:
https://www.propellerheads.se/forum/showthread.php?p=978740

I have no intentions to participate in flame war about Reason. It's not my tool of choice and I already spent too much time arguing about it.

One thing is for sure, Reason "specific" sound is in not exclusive topic on this forum and anyone who is interested in to find out more can easily google it out. I sent one link, you sent two and there are much more out there...

I'm now logging off from this discussion, see you on some other topics.

Cheers,
Nick.

I have no intentions to participate in flame war about Reason. It's not my tool of choice and I already spent too much time arguing about it.

One thing is for sure, Reason "specific" sound is in not exclusive topic on this forum and anyone who is interested in to find out more can easily google it out. I sent one link, you sent two and there are much more out there...

I'm now logging off from this discussion, see you on some other topics.

Cheers,
Nick.

If you're proven wrong by the software developers themselves, then there is nothing left to debate. Post more links to your heart's content, the two I provided are irrefutable.

This is such a silly post. No way I'm reading the entire thing..

Long story short, the answer has been answered on the first page... i don't know why it's on page 9 now and I don't care to find out. The only way you can tell if you're listening to Reason or not is if you happen to know and use the stock sounds. That's basically it. The same goes for FL Studio. Sometimes I know if someone's using FL Studio if I recoginize the presets. I'm sure people can say the same for every single DAW out there. If you know the presets, and that preset is only in that particular DAW, then you know the DAW. It's not rocket science.

But let's say someone chops a sample up. You wanna try to tell me you can tell which DAW they used to arrange and sequence the sample? Please... you're out of your mind if you think you can tell.

If you're proven wrong by the software developers themselves, then there is nothing left to debate. Post more links to your heart's content, the two I provided are irrefutable.
I am not one who believes in the whole Reason sounds this way or that way thing either but let's drop it or take it to PM. This argument is really drawing on longer than it needs to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back