Propellerhead Announced Reason 8

I don't know about this one. Maybe they've got more new features they'll introduce between now and it's release. But, right now, it's looking like no more than a new skin for the overall DAW and interchangeable bass and guitar amps because they're doing something I thought they'd never do...getting rid of modules introduced making the program no longer "forward compatible"!

Hopefully they won't be expecting people to pay $129 for this without anything more. Add a RE or something, and...maybe.

Won't be out until 9/30 ..however the only difference I see is it stole Studio One's drag-n-drop browser feature.

only available as beta and I have nothing to run it one at the moment :(

backwards/forwards compatibility issues are also starting to rear their heads with some (very few) core units disappearing: Line 6 guitar and bass amp devices will no longer be available in the Reason rack by October 2016

Weak update. Period. Drag n Drop has been around too long to use it as an incentive to upgrade.The midi out was important only because you had no means of using outboard gear until they added it. But drag n drop? I can just do it the old way and save $150. I only use 2 things Kontact Players & Reason for sounds. I'm loyal due to prior knowledge, familiarity and stability but they're abusing that. Unless they show some new and better features ill keep 7 and skip the upgrade.I hope their listening to us !

Apart from the drag and drop feature and the so called work flow made easier are there any other changes or modifications made to it?

Not advocating the upgrade pricepoint, but the small tweaks have made R8 way better.

I do wish I could move the browser to the other side of my window, but I'm sure over a little time I'll get used to it. I just used to always keep my toolbar with the same stuff to the right in R7. I gotta agree with SF, everything seems to be way more organized and load faster. I was really hoping for a converter function to make MP3s, WMAs, Mp4s, ect. Every other Daw has that option at this point.

But...I know this sounds stupid...but this was my selling point. Screw organization and drag and drop....once I realized you can now just double click in notes, I purchased. No more using the Redrum wired to Kong and then copying patterns to the track(seems so tedious now), I can easily just click patterns into the sequencer and double click to remove them. May not mean much to some, but that changed alot for the way I'll be creating drum patterns.

Seems like at this point, all the cool factors of FL I've miss have made their way to reason. Alot of people will say "no vst support", but I've got more REs at this point than i ever had vsts. And have equivalents to anything I felt I'd be missing.

Last edited:
I hear what people are saying about the the improved workflow and everything but $129? That's 33% of the price of the the entire program. Drag and drop should have been a free update for registered owners of Reason 1-7.

I also think instead of trying to shove the new amps down our throats with this update, maybe give us a credit to the PropShop so we can choose our own RE.

What about updating some of the instruments? Redrum, Subtractor, NNXT... Don't get me wrong, these are all still very usable but they are fast approaching retirement age. The fact that there are now RE's is no reason to neglect the core instruments that come bundled in Reason. How about Reason becoming a Rewire master? I would like to see that.

I haven't used or purchased the update. I think that i'm gonna sit this one out. I'll stick with 7 for now and wait for 9.

So, I got the upgrade...the drag and drop is cool, but if you've gotten used to the old Reason workflow, this may take some getting used to.

The new amps are okay. I'm going to make it a point to bounce out any bass tracks I've used in other songs to preserve them before they phase out the Line 6 amps.

There are some new layout quirks that's irking me, but again, nothing I can't get used to in time. I upgraded because I didn't want to not upgrade and be too behind when they really rolled out some stuff that I'm excited about. That's what happened to me with Pro-Tools, now I'm stuck btw a rock and a hard place because $700 for Pro-Tools 11 is nuts. lol

Not advocating the upgrade pricepoint, but the small tweaks have made R8 way better.

Agreed. After trying out the Demo for free i have to agree that the workflow improvements make R8 way more fun and easy to use. I still think that $129 is too steep. I will probably buy the upgrade but i'm going to wait until the holidays to see if Propellerhead has some kind of sale.

I think I'm gonna skip this update. I feel like I'm moving further and further away from Reason, every since I bought Komplete 9 Ultimate and Maschine Mk2.

Back