Problems opening Reason because of ReWire

Taybot

I have a stupid question but I can't figure this out! I went to open Reason today and it says "the reason engine is already in use. make sure You only run one instance of Reason."

But usually, that just means Reason is open in my dock, so I hit quit on the dock and everything is fine. Today though, Reason isn't on my dock! So I don't know how to quit it.

Furthermore, when I try to close Logic 8 off my dock, it says "Please quit ReWire applications first."

Since I can't shut Reason down, I can't quit Logic off my dock and my computer won't even let me restart, all because it says Reason is still up. Can someone please help me with this??

Thanks alot!!

2 ways to do it.

1) You could open up the task manager and cancel the Process. Sometimes that works for me.

2) If not... just save everything and do a forced Windows shutdown. Press the off button and hold it until it turns off. (I find myself having to do this a lot when I'm overworking my CPU.)

You'll be fine w/ the forced shutdown, nothing bad will happen if your work is saved.

yup that's what I did and it worked. I guess I was overworking my cpu obviously. I just started tryin to learn how to ReWire Reason into Logic so that's probly what did it.

Shoot so far I have to say I hate learning this does anyone think I should just use Logic? Logic is a pretty ill program you gotta admit.

Anyways peace thx pheonix!

Not telling you how to work, but i always have said, if you ReWire for anything other than adding live recordings...you may as well not even use Reason.

I do feel there are better vstis out there, better methods of producing than ReWiring, ect. What makes Reason so magical to me is the ability to use it as a contained "beatmachine".

Once you "decontain it", you may as well discard it for the thousands of vstis and endlees capabilities outside of a contained program.

I'm not telling you what to do, but if i wanted to produce and mix my beats in Logic, I wouldn't slow my workflow with the hassle of ReWiring and destablizing my enviroment with it. I'd just use the sounds from Logic Pro that are indeed eqivalent to anything in Reason...and expand using vsti(AU's in Logic I beleive, but same thing)that would intergate more smoothly with less hassle into Logic.

Last edited:
shoot i appreciate the advice, i've been scrambling to get some sort of knowledge on this subject.

The past couple nights have been lame cuz I expected ReWire not necessarily to be easier to learn, but I certainly thought it would be smoother than it has turned out to be.

I'm an advocate of making the entire beat in Reason and Rewiring to a single stereo track. There's no hassle to that. No routing your ouputs, ect.

But it's the equivalent to making a beat on hardware and importing it into a DAW. that's what i like about it. I can record mutitrack live audio, but all my mixing of the beat is still done inside Reason.

I've had many setups over the years, ReWire was never a good option for me when using Reason alongside other stuff while making the music. You can't even save the entire project as a single file. you have to save in both Reason and pro tools to contain everything. hey won't even automatically reopen together.

If you want expansive options, why not make the entire beat and add vocals in just Logic. It's too much of a headache to do it any other way.

Oh that makes so much sense when you compare Reason to hardware.

I know, it's lame that you can't even open the song as one file using ReWire.

As far as doing everything in Logic (making beats & recording vocals), I think that is what I'm edging towards. It kind of makes me sad to leave Reason behind, since that is what I learned on and I love the sounds I can get.

But I love the sounds that come with Logic and some of the devices in there are awesome.

The only thing is I love to make my own sounds in Reason because it lets you be so creative. Is there any kind of way to make your own sounds in Logic 8?

Then again, tons of producers don't use Reason and can get super creative so there must be a way. I suppose I can buy VSTs, combine synths together, and obviously use effects. There are probably books I can get on how to work on sound design using programs other than Reason, you think??

Maybe u should just use reason as a sound module...I'm on my phone so I can't find the link...

In short u just create a reason template with 1 instance of each instrument and send it directly to the audio interface...record all parts as audio and sequence the tracks in logic...I use live...so I'm able to set up templates for every reason instrument I wanna use and I can get to them with a click...the only real pain is auditioning the reason sounds...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure this is kind of the same thing as ReWire and it's not that easy in Logic. This is what we were talking about above, where you have to open both files just to work on your song.

I get the impression it is actually easier to do this on Ableton.

After getting dual monitors I can really get into my rewire work but before I really got tired of the back and forth to make adjustments. I got the Guru for my drums and have since forgot about reason as a drum machine. I just get it in with Cubase or my new friend Studio One.

Yeah, as much as I advocate Reason as a closed module for all in one productions, there is no such thing as "one click multitrack Rewiring". if I planned to finish up my beat in logic, why not just do the entire thing there using "one click AU/VST Instruments that can take your sound capabilities way further?

What do you need Reason for if you use plug ins to produce? What do you need plug ins for if you use Reason? Again just my opinion. I do use Reason, take it with it's limitations, but the day I'm tired of it, a few plug ins can eliminate Reason being part of my setup.

i also love the self contained aspect of reason but i am currently rewiring it into renoise. although because i am now rewiring it some of the actual appeal of reason has vanished.

i love some of the modules in reason and wish i could use them in another host (i love scream, the rv7000, malstrom, thor and the mclass fx) but there are just some vsts that have caught my eye recently and after trying out a lot of demos i've been drawn away from reason.

i'm still really comfortable in the program though and love wiring things together. i love working within reason and never found anything to be a hassle. i actually don't even mind rewiring. i don't find it troublesome at all. to me it's just like using a couple of vsts. obviously it is a bit of a pain having to save 2 different files but it doesn't really bother me that much.

but although i like malstrom and thor part of the reason i'm still using the program is simply because i paid for it and i already own it. i have a distinct feeling that if i was purchasing right now reason wouldn't be on my list.

^^ Yeah I was a big time Reason user and since I've gone back to Sonar with version 8 again I find myself Rewiring less and less. I mainly Rewired for the Reason Drums and Piano refills that I really liked for sound and tweakability. I'm finding I can do most everything I did in Reason using Drop Zone, Dimension Pro, RXP and Session Drummer. All of my Recycle stuff can be dropped right into Sonar now so I'm finding myself using the cakewalk stuff more as I get more comfortable with them.

i also love the self contained aspect of reason but i am currently rewiring it into renoise. although because i am now rewiring it some of the actual appeal of reason has vanished.

i love some of the modules in reason and wish i could use them in another host (i love scream, the rv7000, malstrom, thor and the mclass fx) but there are just some vsts that have caught my eye recently and after trying out a lot of demos i've been drawn away from reason.

i'm still really comfortable in the program though and love wiring things together. i love working within reason and never found anything to be a hassle. i actually don't even mind rewiring. i don't find it troublesome at all. to me it's just like using a couple of vsts. obviously it is a bit of a pain having to save 2 different files but it doesn't really bother me that much.

but although i like malstrom and thor part of the reason i'm still using the program is simply because i paid for it and i already own it. i have a distinct feeling that if i was purchasing right now reason wouldn't be on my list.
i feel the same.. but im rewiring into ableton.. havent tried renoise..

i love my VSTi collection for synths.. but im lacking in acoustic/real instruments for plugins and thats where reason comes in handy as well..

plus the nn-xt is my favorite module EVER.. only if they sold that thing as a seperate plug in.. nothing can match its work flow for me when it comes to sampling... its features are so easy to use as well..

Yeah, as much as I advocate Reason as a closed module for all in one productions, there is no such thing as "one click multitrack Rewiring".

Sorry bro, but you're incorrect here. If you take the time to set up the templates/presets ahead of time, rewire is extremely easy (or at least it is with Ableton Live... i haven't tried anything else).

Literally all I do to add a Reason instrument is click and drag a preset I created and saved with the "external instrument" in Live. Couldn't be easier. The midi from/to and audio from/to is already routed. The reason combinators are already routed to the hardware interface.

To answer your question of why you would use Reason if you are also using plugs, there are a number of reasons (pardon the pun):

1) Reason is super low on CPU

2) Reason is extremely stable

3) Reason makes it EXTREMELY easy to stack and create unique/big sounds

4) there are soooo many refills available that reason is infinitely expandable

5) I have yet to find a VST like the maelstrom

5) Reason is extremely easy to use

I could go on and on and on.

Personally, I sequence in Ableton Live, and I also have Sampletank, Philharmonik, Sonik Synth, Cakewalk z3ta, Analog Factory, and various free stuff. To be perfectly honest, I prefer Reason to my VSTs. I only really go to my VSTs for a particular sound I don't have in Reason.

^^^I like how nomatter how much I stressed "my opinion" people come in here trying to tell me i'm wrong.

If someone says "in my opinion, it's easier to make beats on an MPC in a shark tank". It's not my place to tell them it's wrong, they were simply putting me on to there views.

But I'd like to see "one click Rewiring" even with a template, you had to click more than once to get it. Did you not? There is such a thing as literal start to finish "one click vsti opening" in some Daws. 3 clicks to the most unless they involve multi routing. There is literally "one click module opening" inside Reason. Since you wanna be extra technical. You're wrong.

I'm well aware you can line up a template and have Rewire triggered on startup in your DAW.

Do your research. I'm the one who was giving tutorials on how to ReWire on this site. *Kanye Voice* you cain't tell me nuffin!

As for your "Reasons to use Reason alongside vstis", I could just as easily feel all 5 of those are "Reasons to use it standalone. I actually do. lol. But I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong, I just fail to understand the purpose of ReWiring for anything other than adding live recordings. You may just as easily not understand why anyone would choose to use Reason standalone.:cheers:

Last edited:
^^^I like how nomatter how much I stressed "my opinion" people come in here trying to tell me i'm wrong.

If someone says "in my opinion, it's easier to make beats on an MPC in a shark tank". It's not my place to tell them it's wrong, they were simply putting me on to there views.

But I'd like to see "one click Rewiring" even with a template, you had to click more than once to get it. Did you not? There is such a thing as literal start to finish "one click vsti opening" in some Daws. 3 clicks to the most unless they involve multi routing. There is literally "one click module opening" inside Reason. Since you wanna be extra technical. You're wrong.

I'm well aware you can line up a template and have Rewire triggered on startup in your DAW.

Do your research. I'm the one who was giving tutorials on how to ReWire on this site. *Kanye Voice* you cain't tell me nuffin!

As for your "Reasons to use Reason alongside vstis", I could just as easily feel all 5 of those are "Reasons to use it standalone. I actually do. lol. But I'm not gonna tell you you're wrong, I just fail to understand the purpose of ReWiring for anything other than adding live recordings. You may just as easily not understand why anyone would choose to use Reason standalone.:cheers:

Nah man... i wasnt tryin to say you were wrong about it not being "good" or whatever... just about it not being easy. Obviously, to each his own, I'm just saying if u arent doin it strictly because you think it isn't easy, you need to rethink that (or you're using the wrong tools).

As for technically "one click" it depends what exactly ur talkin about. I click and drag my "Combinator 1" preset in live, then I go in reason under my already set-up Combinator 1, click on the already set-up mixer within it, and then go under "Create Instrument." So what... like you said maybe 3 total clicks at most?

And as for my "reasons..." list, I'm not arguing using it stand alone vs. rewire (I used Reason alone for a long time and was very happy), I was arguing rewire vs. using strictly VSTs.

The reason for rewire, other than live instruments, is to expand your options... simple as that. The main thing that really made me want to buy Live after having just Reason for a while was the vast array of free VSTs (especially effects) available on the net.

Again, not tryin to **** on anyones choices. Obviously if you are gettin the results you want, mission accomplished no matter how you did it. All I'm sayin is dont dismiss rewire just because its "complicated" or "difficult," because with a little planning ahead it really doesn't have to be at all.

^^^

Good point some people have gave me tips on how to set up my environment window on Logic 8 to make it easier to rewire. I will work on that tonight. Maybe I can figure out a slightly easier method.

I'm pretty sure it's easier to ReWire using Ableton rather than Logic tho, unfortunately for me.

i think Ableton Live and Studio One are the easiest to setup rewire with Reason. having and making templates for rewiring Reason will of course speed up setup time.

Back