pro tools vs. logic

logic for midi production
pro tools for audio & mastering

logic > pt-le
pt hd > logic

if logic had a hd version it would knock pro tools out the box!

Logic's midi support is extremely powerful. The choice between the two is down to what you are going to use it for. If you are working more with actual audio files than midi, pro tools HD. However, i use logic for any midi work that i do, and the main stage program that comes with logic has replaced most of my live gear haha

If you're going one or the other, Logic is the better choice. Protools may be a little better than logic for audio (and IMO that's very debatable; with the right plugins and gear you can get any kind of sound you want to), but the magnitude of difference between logic's and protools' management of audio is much less than the magnitude of difference between their sequencing abilities.

Protools audio management > logic's audio management
Logic's sequencing >>>>>>> protools' sequencing

Logic wins.

man most people today use both well maybe not most but alot of industry cats do make there beat in logic then mix in protools

i thought the hardware played the biggest part or at least thats what i heard. is this not true? same equipment hooked up to both, or say a cubase sonar COOL EDIT PRO, would it be really that different? or is just about your preference with the programs design and plugins?

If you're going one or the other, Logic is the better choice. Protools may be a little better than logic for audio (and IMO that's very debatable; with the right plugins and gear you can get any kind of sound you want to), but the magnitude of difference between logic's and protools' management of audio is much less than the magnitude of difference between their sequencing abilities.

Protools audio management > logic's audio management
Logic's sequencing >>>>>>> protools' sequencing

Logic wins.

Have you used PT 8? I have both, I would say PT 8 is beating logic now in the sequencing side of things, it's real easy to edit and arrange now. IMO Logic has the better stock instruments overall along with the apple loops. The loops that come with PT 8 are ok but the apple loops are killin em!

Have you used PT 8? I have both, I would say PT 8 is beating logic now in the sequencing side of things, it's real easy to edit and arrange now. IMO Logic has the better stock instruments overall along with the apple loops. The loops that come with PT 8 are ok but the apple loops are killin em!

I've used it for a very short period of time just to check it out. I actually love it a lot, but you know how it is when you've used something for so long that 'nothing beats it'. In a perfect world where I had unlimited access to Jay-Z's bank account, I would be loaded up with protools AND logic and a bunch of other gear but I think Logic is just a little better when it comes to that 'all-in-one' quality.

BTW-- do you find yourself doing projects in a series of steps where you end up using both Logic and PT in conjunction, or do you use one or the other depending on your mood and the music you're making?

the more gear u have the more difficult it becomes to make music kuz u gotta deal with technical sh*t take my advice keep it simple

straight out the box logic 8 vs pro tools 8 i would say logic hands downs wins i have both so coming from experience i think logic midi editing is still more powerful than pro tools 8, the effects/plugin in logic are much better than pro tools imo. pro tools has better audio editing where its a little more simplier but as far as basic editing such as crossfades etc i feel logic has the upper hand.

I've used it for a very short period of time just to check it out. I actually love it a lot, but you know how it is when you've used something for so long that 'nothing beats it'. In a perfect world where I had unlimited access to Jay-Z's bank account, I would be loaded up with protools AND logic and a bunch of other gear but I think Logic is just a little better when it comes to that 'all-in-one' quality.

BTW-- do you find yourself doing projects in a series of steps where you end up using both Logic and PT in conjunction, or do you use one or the other depending on your mood and the music you're making?

a little of both. I just go by mood. i get inspired by trying out new plugins and keyboards, especially if i have beat block. I'll use Logic a lot for compositions and rough vocal ideas and then dump it in Protools since the studios use that and it's simple to send a session to a songwriter or artist. Protools ill do remixing/mixing/recording in. I also have ableton live Digidesign edition and it's a great sketchpad for my laptop.

Back