Pro Tools vs Ableton Live

axxed334

Hi everyone..I am currently using Ableton Live 7 and thinking of moving to pro tools but i am confused does pro tools have the same kind of ease and functionality of ableton live?.. i mean in Live we have the whole "scenes" concept which composing really easy..does pro tools have this functionality cuz i ve heard pro tools is for post production. What does the term "Bus" stand for in terms of DAWs

Dude, I have both. I never touch PT until I am done with everything production wise. in other words composition, arrangement, conversion to Audio and sometimes VST automation are all done in Live 8, then I import the audio into PT 8 for mixing and mastering later on.

this is the workflow I decided is best after long journey with PT. for production and storing ideas, I recommend staying with Live. if you are interested in PT then get it but just know if you use it for production, your workflow is only getting uncomfortable and uneasy.

i do what i can do in pt8 in live...i happen to have both because i bought the mbox2 and it comes with it i hardly use pt8 but i would say its good if ur looking for that"mastering" environment but i learned to set up my live 8 and do just the same and i find live 8 to be more stable than protools ...and live 8 is very user friendly i use also pt8 doesnt use all the power in my axiom49 i.e. can midi control parameters in RTAS plugs....in live u can midi map anything on the screen just about i highly recommend live 8 if ur going for ease..and no pt8 does not have the scene concept i think its exlcusive to live but i use the traditional arrangement im so used to it

For music production, Ableton Live is easier and more oriented to that purpose. Pro Tools is just as good, but it requieres deep knowledge of the DAW. So I'd stay with Live unless you are having problems with it, or if you want to try another DAW for creating music, I'd go with FL Studio.

Ableton Live is amazing. I do everything from producing to mixing/mastering on Live; its just a really powerful software.

Simple........
If you want to work like a Pro learn & use Pro Tools........
If you want to work like a DJ use Live........

Last edited:
If you want to work like a DJ use Live........

This "dj" thing just keeps tagging along when Live's focus shifted from being a "dj tool" into the DAW territory around version 3. Yes, the features are still there, but there isn't any necessity to "work like a dj" with Live.

Well, this may be true wherever you are but over here, Live even at version 8.? is strickly DJ material........... Well respected but definately not Pro!

I guess it's all relative, eh!

Last edited:
Well, this may be true wherever you are but over here, Live even at version 8.? is strickly DJ material........... Well respected but definately not Pro!

I guess it's all relative, eh!

Either you're attempting to troll or are genuinely misinformed. In any case, what you said is (almost too stereotypically) false.

Ableton Live is indisputably being used in many kinds of professional production settings all over the world. DJ use is only one of the possible applications. (Edit: also note, implying that DJ use, specifically, is not professional use is prejudiced in itself, but that's a whole another discussion).

To the original poster: use what best suits your own workflow.

Last edited:
Maybe if you put producer edition in the title then it will be different lol. I never tried doing anything DJ oriented in live. I never been into DJing its always been boring to me. Its perfect for my workflow as far as making beats, and multitrack recording. The whole DJ thing gets out of hand though, you have to use it first or watch other non DJ's make a track in it. I will say DJ's have a good ease of use when working with live by the session view and triggering clips, with the ability to map almost anything to your gear.

Either you're attempting to troll or are genuinely misinformed. In any case, what you said is (almost too stereotypically) false.
My interest was only to respond to the "general" question at hand, my answer was and still is due to my experience using DAW's since ADAT & Reel to reels; being that I come from a family of famous Motown producers from Detroit from the 60's. So, I DO believe that I have some knowledge of the industry and its tools.

I really could care less what system one uses. I gain no profits from any of them but use whatever works for me.

Some use 1 DAW while others use many to get the results. I use Pro Tools because its MY "all-in-one" DAW.

In France (generally speaking), the majority of Live users are sample based producers; and doing quite well with such artistes as, Rhianna, Black Eyed Peas, etc. They work in Live and transfer to Pro Tools, afterwards. For me, this is double processing when PT's can do it all; if you're knowledeable!

RULES: "Please resist the urge to curse, flame, degrade, insult or embarrass someone in your post. We encourage the free flow of your ideas, but believe that they can be communicated (and received) much more effectively if you keep things civil."

To Guenon: I DO respect your and/or anyone else's opinion........but I do find it a bit "Flaming" if not insulting. My signature is "Healing the world through music"..........not flames from Hell!

Some people on this forum are really "Jaded"..........get some LOVE in your lives, guys!

To Guenon: I DO respect your and/or anyone else's opinion........but I do find it a bit "Flaming" if not insulting. My signature is "Healing the world through music"..........not flames from Hell!

I still think you're trolling, to be honest :). The irony is just too overwhelming, as you're the one who appears jaded (with the old "if you want to be pro, you use Pro Tools" routine).

It might be a language barrier thing too, though.

Some use 1 DAW while others use many to get the results. I use Pro Tools because its MY "all-in-one" DAW.

Pretty much any major DAW software package (and more than one of the non-major ones) can be one's "all-in-one" host software these days.

Back