Pro Tools vs Ableton Live

Pro Tools is for pre-production(with various plug-ins Including PropHd Reason that sync-locks realtime with PT),Recording/mixing(with realtime effects processing),and post-production(realtime Eq,editing,mastering). And for me it is easier than ableton(have various versions of ableton,one even came with PT bundle).

i dont do nothing but mix in pt. i make my beats in reason 5. it seem a lil hard to ake beats in pt but i just could b being lazy in not trying to learn it

Dude, I have both. I never touch PT until I am done with everything production wise. in other words composition, arrangement, conversion to Audio and sometimes VST automation are all done in Live 8, then I import the audio into PT 8 for mixing and mastering later on.

this is the workflow I decided is best after long journey with PT. for production and storing ideas, I recommend staying with Live. if you are interested in PT then get it but just know if you use it for production, your workflow is only getting uncomfortable and uneasy.

When you got to import your track into Pro Tools how do you seperate each individual sound or instrument into its own channel for mixing? Do you import the track as a whole like an .mp3 or .wav? I'm assuming the actual track needs to be broken down into say kicks, snares, bass line, etc, etc. I haven't done much with mixing and I was wondering how people do this. I've been making songs in Maschine with no mixing but I really want to start trying to learn. If I'm using Maschine with Ableton and then want to say import into Pro Tools at the end for post production what exactly would be the process? I'd definitely appreciate some feedback thanks.

I've used ProTools for over 10 years. Had the TDM Mix Plus system and used it in a commercial studio for hundreds of albums, demos and mastering.

I've used Ableton Live for almost 4 years now. I use it everyday in my day job as MD for musical theater show. I've also taken the basic and advanced Ableton courses with Berklee online.

So which is better for producing music? I use both. If I'm recording a lot of audio or want to just drop in samples then I use ProTools. Partly because I'm more familiar with producing projects on it.

If I'm doing anything where I need to do synth design, create custom samples, retrigger for ambient music - basically anything synth based or to do with electronic sound design - then I use Ableton. Ableton is really amazing in the different ways you can process midi. I could take a single album project and produce several CD's out of a single run of midi content and applying different chains of processes. This may be available in ProTools, but it's very intuitive and apparent in Ableton.

So for my vote: Ableton is great for custom synth design, custom sample slicing and processing, and for Midi. ProTools is great for recording and producing straight audio based material (like recording a band, etc.). Could either one do both? Sure.

I'm using Live 8 as my main DAW and I'm loving it. It's so good for your creativity and the song writing process.

pro tools can do everything live does in production and them some. the only thing live does that pro tools don't is that clip thing, but that is more for fly in,dj stuff.

pro tools can do everything live does in production and them some. the only thing live does that pro tools don't is that clip thing, but that is more for fly in,dj stuff.

Considering I don't do any "dj stuff", I'll respectfully disagree about the clip thing - I pretty much do all my compositions by triggering clips in real time, and can't really think about going back to the traditional linear way of working - it's just much more immediate and fun this way, and gives room to some happy accidents as well. While other DAWs have added similar capabilities, I think this is still Live's forté and the main thing that separates it from the rest. Not that the same results can't be attained with any other software package, but it's all about the path to get there.

Considering I don't do any "dj stuff", I'll respectfully disagree about the clip thing - I pretty much do all my compositions by triggering clips in real time, and can't really think about going back to the traditional linear way of working - it's just much more immediate and fun this way, and gives room to some happy accidents as well.

I think it probably also speaks to the kind of music people are making. Certain kinds of music is a better fit with traditional linear sequencers while other musics are better for Live's unique clip based arranger view. But if we only had one type of sequencer, all types of music would still get done. It might be easier or harder, but people would still make it happen. People really stretched out the capabilities of programs like the earliest versions of Fruity Loops before they tacked on the sequencer. (am I showing my age) And also people did great linear sounding pieces in Rebirth. Or, people create wonderfully "electronic" music linear sequencers like Cubase and Logic or even Pro Tools.

While other DAWs have added similar capabilities, I think this is still Live's forté and the main thing that separates it from the rest.

Yep. That is the most unique and beneficial aspect of Live, and no one has decided to completely copy that yet. Amazingly, not even Cakewalk, the greatest copier of our generation. LOL But don't worry, they are surely working on it. Soon we will have SonarX-Live. LOL That even sound like a real product!

Not that the same results can't be attained with any other software package, but it's all about the path to get there.

I agree. A lot of people love to say that everything is the same, it's just a matter of personal preference. It's not true of course. Some things truly are better suited than others to specific tasks. Nothing does that clip arranger thing like Live. Lots of cool possibilities with that, but on another note, that was the reason I stopped using Live. It inspired a lot of experimentation for me and experimentation is not how I actually want to work. I prefer to work from a predetermined template of ideas and only experiment after I'm mostly satisfied with what I'm doing.

Back