Pro Tools Alternatives?

Izza

Hey gang,

I was blessed once with the opportunity to do some dialogue work on Pro Tools for some film projects, and I loved the real-time sequencing aspect. I have recently been using programs like FruityLoops and Acid to make tracks but with step- and loop-based sequencing I'm having a real difficult time trying to do the things I want to do...Unfortunately I don't have ProTools kinda dough...

I'm on a Pentium IV (Sony Vaio) machine with 512 MB ram running Win XP Home...System Requirements not really an issue but money is...does anyone know any less expensive real-time sequencing programs that I could investigate? Anything like ProTools but less $$$$$?

I've looked at Multiquence and that is the only thing I know of that comes close, but the demo didn't really satisfy me...Worst case scenario I'll fall back on that but I'd like to explore other options first...

thanks

Iz

Protools Alternatives

First of all: Fruity Loop is for kids (sorry guys). But more important then that: it's mor like a midi sequencer. When talking about Protools, we're talking audio (pt does have midi capabilities but pros usually don't use them, there's better stuff for midi).

So once we've agreed on doing audio, we'll have to decide whether we put emphasis on recording and song designing or on mastering complete songs (or audio material for videos that is already put in correct order).

So here we go:

recording: Nuendo, used by pros, quite costly when combined with apporpriate hardware, although not as much as protools mix/24.
Cubase SX. Good value for money in my opinion.
Emagic Logic. maybe the nicest midi sequencer around, but also good for recording.

Mastering - on pc: wavelab.

And of course: Protools Free. Did you know there was a free downloadable version of protools? Can't use it together with digidesign hardware (that's why it's free) but beside that it's a good choice for audio if you're into protools anyway. I know some pro audio education places that use PT free before they let their students trash the big PT workstations...

NUENDO Is beautiful as a sub just before Pro Tools its really professional too unlike lots of the others u learn that and u have basically learned all the other steinberg software!!!!!

Thanks yall

thanks y'all...I'm looking at the Steinberg products and will check out Cakewalk...Although at this stage in the game the ability to do real-time sequencing with pre-existing samples is more important to me than recording...

Any other suggestions I am still open as well

peace

Iz

PS- I can't really f*ck with Logic b/c I'm on a PC and yes, I did try Pro Tools free, but only runs on Win 98, not XP...at this point I'm not in a position to reconfigure my entire hard drive so that i cna have Win 98 running alongside XP just to be able to run Pro Tools Free, but I might later

Back