The Power of a Powerbook ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

winson

Anyone know if those new g4 powerbooks would be capable of music production from start to finish?

the reason why im considering a laptop is cuz i wanna do graphics too, and the portablity would be nice for my digital portfolio presentations.

but as far with music production, as in producing tracks and doing recording from start to finish, would i be better off spending that kinda money on a buff windows pc instead?

Yes, the right Powerbook will let you do all you need to. An 800mhz model or faster would be royalty in the mobile music production world -- just expect to be spending some money on a fast firewire drive.

There are a whole lot of benefits to using a Mac for music shiz... the biggest one is Digital Performer (www.motu.com). The more common ones are stability and ease of configuration. You'll have a more reliable machine.

You'll also avoid the distraction of games, as there are few available for the mac. ;-]

I'm the biggest mac advocate on this board and i use Digital Performer. however if i were to buy a lap top i'd go windows. It just seemt to me that the apple laptops feel cheap, mainly because of their keyboards. For a non laptop I'd go apple all the way.

Don't let your OS and tools decision be based off of the feel of a keyboard -- use the tools that suit you well and keep you productive.

decide what software you want to use, then buy the best computer for that software. my suggestions:

Cubase SX/SL and Nuendo -> pc
Reason 2 and Live-> either pc or mac

for Logic, MOTU and Fruity Loops, the choices are obvious

= chiisu

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back