nn-xt timestretching alternative

I know the nn-xt does not timestretch, so is there any way to increase the duration of a short stab (2 sec) to about 6 seconds without changing the pitch too much ( i know this is timestretching)?

For example if I find a horn on vinyl and chop it up can I make it sustain for as long as I want?

This is my goal.

Thank You. Peace.

Last edited:
I was wondering the same... is there any way to timestretch in Reason 3.0???

I only rock samples in dr. rex. it be makin them sound different but that's the way I like it

The only progam I know of that allows you to do stuff like this without noticeable artifacts is Melodyne. You would definitely be able to do it in that.

It's not cheap though, but they have a version called UNO, might be worth looking into if you do a lot of messing around with audio files.

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try messing with the release and decay to achieve a longer sound.

I'm not quite sure about messing with the loops start and end points in nn-xt. When I put a sample in, the default parameter of the sample is

Loop start - 0.0%
Loop end - 100%

also

start - 0.0%
end - 0.0%

so I cannot make the sample longer by increasing the end points due to it already being maxed out.

Thanks, peace.

Last edited:
I dont get the start end point stuff either. I know how to makes samples shorter and I use it from time to time, but making them longer? thats odd.

Impulseadidas2003 said:
Thanks for the replies. I'm going to try messing with the release and decay to achieve a longer sound.

I'm not quite sure about messing with the loops start and end points in nn-xt. When I put a sample in, the default parameter of the sample is

Loop start - 0.0%
Loop end - 100%

also

start - 0.0%
end - 0.0%

so I cannot make the sample longer by increasing the end points due to it already being maxed out.

Thanks, peace.

The concept of the start/end times is pretty simple. It's more simple when you have a waveform to do it on, but NN-XT just has a knob but when you adjust the start time, all you're doing is changing the place on the waveform where the sample will begin playin when you press a key on your keyboard, or when you place a note in the piano roll. In other words, if a sample said, a,e,i,o,u, you could move the start time to start on "i", and end on "o". TIt's easier to demonstrate when you set the ADSR for a quick attack and fast release. Then click a key and hold it down til the end. It will quickly start wherever you set the start time to, and end exactly where you set the end time to. If you use a midi keyboard, you can repeatedly trigger the sample while adjusting the start time to find the "sweat spot". If you set the release to a fast release, you shouldn' t have to worry about the end time because the sample will end when you take your finger off the key, or how ever long you draw a note in the piano roll.

As for time stretching, there are a lot of time stretching solutions out there. You might even try FL Studio which has a very nice time stretching algo. But keep in mind, there's no magic so nothing is gonna stretch a sample very far without artifacts.

Just to expand a little on what LA said, the loop points can be used to make a short sample "longer"; that's exactly what they're for. The idea is that the top-level "start" and "end" points govern how the sample is played back - where it starts and were it ends. Duh.

The loop-level "start" & "end" dictate what part of the sample within these start and end points will be looped during the "sustain" part - taking the the same "aeiou" example, your sample might start from "a" and end in "u", but the loop points could be set to loop between "e" and "o" as long as the key is held. So it first plays back the "a" through "o", then loops from "e" to "o" as long as you hold it down, and finally goes to the "u" when you let go (the "release" part).

One messy example, but let's hope you get it down now :)

Last edited:
L. A. Stone said:
As for time stretching, there are a lot of time stretching solutions out there. You might even try FL Studio which has a very nice time stretching algo. But keep in mind, there's no magic so nothing is gonna stretch a sample very far without artifacts.

I would of said the same thing until I heard Melodyne, there's a demonstration video on www.celemony.com check out what it can do with those trumpet solos. Pretty damn amazing indeed.

I think with the looping thing, the difficulty is finding an point in the sample ( maybe in the middle with a case like this ) that will loop successfully. I guess it would need to play, then loop for a small time, then continue on for its natural release. With a small sample that's got to be nigh on impossible. The problem would be trying to find a loopable section in such a small area, too small and loop points would just make the sound bounce back and forth creating a new pitched 'buzzing' sound, that's providing you can actually get a loop point in the first place.

I use a tool called Seamless Looper, which is very good for identifying and creating loop points in audio files. It's not miracle worker though.

Personally, I'd download the demo of Melodyne, make loads of variants on the sample using the stretch function and record the output into a wave editor. ( The demo wont let you render stuff, but you can of course record what you have done ;-) )

Delphine said:
I think with the looping thing, the difficulty is finding an point in the sample ( maybe in the middle with a case like this ) that will loop successfully. I guess it would need to play, then loop for a small time, then continue on for its natural release. With a small sample that's got to be nigh on impossible. The problem would be trying to find a loopable section in such a small area, too small and loop points would just make the sound bounce back and forth creating a new pitched 'buzzing' sound, that's providing you can actually get a loop point in the first place.

Good point. It's pretty hard to get it done in Reason with no waveform display and a rather crude setting that doesn't really show any other data than the percentage...

Delphine said:
I would of said the same thing until I heard Melodyne, there's a demonstration video on www.celemony.com check out what it can do with those trumpet solos. Pretty damn amazing indeed.

I use a tool called Seamless Looper, which is very good for identifying and creating loop points in audio files. It's not miracle worker though.

Personally, I'd download the demo of Melodyne, make loads of variants on the sample using the stretch function and record the output into a wave editor. ( The demo wont let you render stuff, but you can of course record what you have done ;-) )

Yeah, I saw the Melodyne video a couple years ago and was amazed, downloaded the demo, threw my own samples at it and that was the end of my amazement.

Last edited:
you can use native instruments kontakt to make short samples longer,but the sample has to have at least a lil bit of the same sustained level,as you can loop the sample,so u select the start an end point,usualy cutting off the beginning an end,an as long as you hold down your keyboard key,it will loop the bit youv selected.

mite be worth lookin at that program,comes with 4 gig of nice instruments too.

L. A. Stone said:
Yeah, I saw the Melodyne video a couple years ago and was amazed, downloaded the demo, threw my own samples at it and that was the end of my amazement.

Really?

I guess nothing would impress you then, that's got to be the best thing out there for doing things with audio files. It's in a league of its own.

krytikal69 said:
you can use native instruments kontakt to make short samples longer,but the sample has to have at least a lil bit of the same sustained level,as you can loop the sample,so u select the start an end point,usualy cutting off the beginning an end,an as long as you hold down your keyboard key,it will loop the bit youv selected.

As I said, you can do the exact same thing with Reason. It's a pretty standard sampler option (bearing in mind that old hw samplers had to rely on this quite extensively due to limited available memory). Naturally, Kontakt is much more sophisticated, but yea...NN-XT does it as well.

Delphine said:
Really?

I guess nothing would impress you then, that's got to be the best thing out there for doing things with audio files. It's in a league of its own.

Don't believe everything you see in the papers. LOL.

Back