Next Roland Groovebox?

Chrisbowmusic

I'm a new member as of today and this is my first post so I figured I solicit thoughts on the future of groovebox/software tandems. More specifically, I'm guessing that Roland will leapfrog Maschine and Renaissance at some point in the near future. Roland and Akai have been battling for years now, but NI came up with Maschine and stole the limelight; even considering Roland did the groovebox/software tandem thing first (i.e. SP-606). The MV series did fairly well for Roland which is why I presume they're working on a new series to rival Maschine and Renaissance. I'm a former MV owner and current Maschine user (which I love), but I've for-one-reason-or-another favored Roland products. What are your thoughts on the grooveboxes version of the Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo game console leapfrogging (if that's a good analogy)? Meaning, how soon should we expect a new box from Roland (if at all), since the ball is in their court now? Any buzz or information out there?

I doubt Roland will bother. People forget Maschine (and the new MPC controllers) are really just software with an included controller. Not too different from BPM, Geist, Battery, etc... Not really the historical discovery/breakthrough people make them out to be. Don't get me wrong I like and own Maschine but comparing it to an MV/MPC is like comparing an orange to an grapefruit. They both are citrus fruit but not the same. If Roland does anything it will be another standalone unit with VST/RTAS/AAX editor access similar to what they already do with the Fantom G. Roland is probably more focused on creating a new keyboard based workstation/synth as they is far more profitable for them. Akai sort of dropped the ball for just making software with a custom controller. Yea, the MPC Ren has a built-in interface but when you are spending that type of money chances are you already have an interface of equal or better quality. They could have made an full blown MPC with plugin/editor software similar to what most popular keyboard/synths have had for years (M3, Fantom, Motif etc...). Just my 2 cents...

:cheers:

Welcome to FP!

People forget Maschine (and the new MPC controllers) are really just software with an included controller. Not too different from BPM, Geist, Battery, etc... Not really the historical discovery/breakthrough people make them out to be.
It's far from "just software with an included controller". Maschine is about integration instead of being just a controller and software. The BPM, Geist, Battery..etc. and a MIDI controller can't come anywhere to close to Maschine as it will lack anything close to true integration like Maschine.

BPM/Geist/Battery just doesn't feel like any MPC. It feels like software and a mouse or software and a MIDI controller.

Part of the beauty and workflow feel of the MPC and Maschine is the disconnected feel it allows for. It gives you that focused feel by allowing to work so well from a centralized point with minimal deviation. You just can't get that with BPM/Geist/Battery and a MIDI controller.

^True, but the point was that making a dedicated hardware groovebox at this day and age is a huge undertaking, even if you have the legacy to improve on. Most people record to DAWs anyway, so it's simply a logical step to go towards that instead of trying to do everything in a box that's gonna be somewhat limited in terms of flexibility.

At some point we might see a successor to the sp404sx. I would not expect much more though if that.

Long time getting back to this thread ... two things ... 1) I'm fully aware of the difference between software and a hardware controller, 2) actually my point was that Roland's silence likely means they have something in R&D already. Companies don't manufacture products overnight, it takes time to do so. For example, Cubase users complained about not having a dedicated controller since the Houston. Well, it turns out that Yamaha-Steinberg had a solution in mind the whole time, Nuage's trademark was filed in 2009.

I was just speculating on how Roland will react since they've historically maintained a stake in the groove production consumer market. Also, given the fact that, like NI (and unlike Akai), they have a complete line of VST synths to enhance a new product, as well as outboard synths. Again, Roland should be determined to correct their mistake with the SP-606 ... and gotta be kicking themselves over the reality that the Maschine market could have been theirs.

Back