Moving on from Acid Pro 7, any suggestions?

Obsidian Blue

For starters, it's been a minute since I posted on a forum of ANY type. It's kinda surreal.

Any way, I'm an Acid Pro vet that is....

1. Tired of Acid crashing on me
  2. Tired of waiting for a new version of Acid Pro
  3. Tired of waiting for an update to Pro 7 that will probably be just as buggy as the previous versions, even with the newer audio interface
  4. REALLY dismayed, because Acid was one of those DAW's that didn't even try to mimic the functionality of hardware, like most DAW's do

So, Any suggestions of what DAW to move onto next? I would like to find something comparable to the functionality of Acid Pro, for I really don't have the time to absorb the learning curve for a mainstream DAW. However, any help I could get would be appreciated.

Well, not to discount your awesomeness, what cues does cubase have over Acid Pro?

Most DAWs adopt similar features due an ongoing evolutionary arms race, for example Cubase develops VST then Logic adopts the technology and introduces the freeze function which is then adopted by Cubase and so on, Acid was also quite innovative however most of the competition have also absorbed that innovation so the real question is how well has Acid been keeping up?

When searching for a new DAW I would recommend that you include a search for feature requests as it often reveals any shortcomings of a particular product in relation to the features of it's competitors, for example if someone is requesting that FL Studio should implement Cubase style drum mapping it's a good indication that FL Studio falls short in that regard.

Well, Acid hadn't released a new version in 3 years, so there ya go as far as innovation.

I did think about the drum issue. In fact, I read somewhere concerning that same issue vs Cubase.

In fact, I'm really not comfortable with they way drums are plotted out in these more popular programs, but at least they are all kinda the same. It looks like i'm gonna have to suck it up and learn from scratch.

So, in the testing deck:

Cubase (i've always hear good things about it, but i've never even touched it)
Presonus Studio 1 (Never even heard of this one until I came here)
Ableton

Peace HollandTurbine, and thanks for the advice.

Thank for the responses so far. Keep em' coming!

Back