The Most Popular Recording Software

How can you split hairs so thin without realizing that none of them are DAW's, rather they are DAW Programs that you install on your DAW

the more i thought about this post the more confused i got...

what is a DAW?

computer, sound card, mixer, monitors, headphones... what? it seems like a "DAW" is made up of different components... but if you take a closer look... you are installing what you call "DAW software" only on one component (the computer) of a "DAW"...

so, that begs the question... what hairs are you splitting?

i actually agree with funks distinction between the DAWs and "almost" DAWs.

programs like logic, pro tools, cubase, DP, etc.. are designed and have all the tools for bringing ANY project from the idea stage all the way to the mixing stage. and that counts for all sorts of music. not just electronic music or hip-hop.

there are a lot of people producing hip-hop using logic or cubase.

but i wonder how many people are strictly recording bands in ableton live or fl studio.

as for the original question.

the DAWs I love are Reason/Record and Ableton Live.

Reason/Record for the simplicity and modularity of the program. plus i love the sequencer. it is missing a few things that i would like (where the **** is the spectrum analyser?, audio editing is rudimentary) but i just love working inside the program. the workflow it offers me is amazing.

As for Ableton Live... It has replaced renoise as my other sequencer. i had downloaded and used the demo a couple of times but nothing ever clicked until i started using Live Lite. I got the full suite (and maxforlive) on an educational discount and the whole package is ridiculous from an artistic point of view. the session view is brilliant and maxforlive adds a freedom that is simply not there in other DAWs. nothing else compares. obviously some things in ableton suck. like the piano roll which is appalling. but i can get over that.

lol i was really asking what made them different from other daws.

LOL!!!

i have stated the differences plenty of times here on future producers dot com but i was accused of "bashing/arguing"...

LOL!!!

i was calling them "facts" but you said i was "bashing/arguing"...

remember?

LOL!!!

hence, i wrote:

@ X and lion-ucs - just stating my opinion(s)... you do not have to agree because nothing is carved in stone... just stating how "i" feel about the subject matter...

p.s. i could go into detail about the subject matter but then i may be accused of "bashing" and/or starting an "argument"... therefore i have learned to just state my opinion(s) and leave it at that!!!

p.s. those trees are something else while looking for the forest...

LOL!!!

programs like logic, pro tools, cubase, DP, etc.. are designed and have all the tools for bringing ANY project from the idea stage all the way to the mixing stage. and that counts for all sorts of music. not just electronic music or hip-hop.

thank you... could not have wrote it better... simple, precise and on point...

Last edited:
FL Studio is typically called a soft studio. Cubase is typically called a "full DAW". True statements. But it's also true that a person looking to buy a new sequencer might consider Cubase, Logic, Live, FL Studio, etc., products that are not in the same category, but have enough of the same features that a person could buy one instead of the other and call it a day. That means that even though we can distinguish that these are in different product categories, we should still look at them as one if we are discussing, "Which DAW is the most popular". Their different categories becomes a non-issue if a consumer is considering all the above when making a purchase.

Back