MIDI Not Showing In Ableton Live 9?

itstaylorh

Hello everyone,

I've been having this issue for quite some time and I pretty much stopped learning how to produce because of it. When I create a MIDI track, it doesn't show up in the horizontal view. Here's a picture showing what happens: Screenshot by Lightshot
There is actually a MIDI there, you can see what I have looped currently.

It makes it hard to automate and whatnot and see where I'm at in the song because I can't see the notes. Is there a way to fix this or is my Ableton/computer just somehow miraculously glitched?

Thanks,
Taylor

I think you might be confused about the relationship of the Session view & Arrangement view - the Session view clips exist independently from whatever's in the Arrangement view, even though they're on the same track. You're either playing MIDI from the Arrangement or the Session, but obviously not both at the same time. You can drag your Session clips over to the Arrangement, or hit global record and record your Session jam into Arr, but Arrangment isn't just a "horizontal version" of the Session view - it's where you build a linear arrangement from a non-linear collection of snippets in Session, if that makes any sense. Or you can record directly into Arrangement view and not have anything in Session. This may sound confusing and it's not entirely intuitive at first, but extremely useful when you get used to it. I'd also recommend reading the manual section about the two views.

Back