Midi Drum Programming or Sample Loops

G

Gonzaga

I mostly have been programming my drums through midi. And it has become a real burden to create a nice smooth loops especially for shakers, cabasas, and maracas.

I'm looking for a complex shake like when I hear a salsa band play a shaker or a cabasa. Something that sounds like it hits 4 times for every bar. It makes any track seem like its really moving no matter what tempo. Its very soothing to the ear but difficult to program. Well for me that is. :(

But, do you guys midi program or do you simpy sample an audio loop and then stretch it to your tempo of the track?

Or do you have any other useful tips?

Thanks.
:hello:

fruity loops can actually create some flowing drums, using the delays and shuffle bar you can get some nice grooves that sound pretty realistic.

Vary your velocities, use quiet ghost notes. Also try laying down the basic groove at 32nd note resolution or so, then going to 128th notes (or finer, or just turn off quantization) and move things around a bit. And make use of swing controls/swing quantization.

I agree with the above posts.

Also, a good thing to do is find some midi drum patterns on the net and open them up and see how they are created. Look at the velocities and where the notes are placed etc. Get the feel for how they are created cos if thats the music you want to do then it's best to dive right in and learn it all.

That said there are a million and one loops for exactly what you are trying to do but they can't be edited the same way midi can.

I agree with all of the above, espcially TheRealDopamine point about midi drum patterns.
Gonzaga if you can get a hold of some midi files, that would be a great help.
Also I'm not sure if your using computer sequencing, but if you are and using Cubase check out VST Drum Sessions by Wizoo.

Quincy:D

Back