Mbox 3 mini, M-Powered Pro Tools, iLok Question

say it terror

this week i'm purchasing either an mbox mini or an m-audio profire 610 and m-powered pro tools. tbh i don't do much recording of external hardware so i'm just getting one or the other so i can run pro tools.

but finding info online relating as to wheter i need to buy an iLok separately is hard to come buy, and i've read several conflicting things.

if i were to purchase an mbox mini 3 is that all i need to run Pro Tools? ie. i get the interface (which includes pro tools) and that acts as the dongle?

or if i were to purchase m-powered pro tools do i need to buy an iLok separately? or is one required at all and does the m-audio interface act as the dongle?

Not all m-audio interfacez act as donglez.... I have an m-audio profire 2626 and I still need an ilok to open ptmp

But my m-powered software came with a free ilok

Last edited:
why not get a mbox micro? im sure it acts like a dongle it kinda looks like one and can't it run off of monitors too? idk so im asking

If you got the M-Powered route you will have a wider range of interfaces to choose from. PTMP comes with an iLok that has the license.

But with LE you have options to more upgrades. LE doesn't use a dongle for authorization. It just has to see a Avid/Digidesign interface connected. The Micro just gives you 1/8" headphone jack with no inputs.

the m-audio interface acts as the dongle for m-powered pro tools...

No it doesn't. An iLok is required (comes with the software). I've been through three M-Audio interfaces with Pro Tools M-Powered (MobilePre USB, Fast Track Pro, and currently Fast Track Ultra 8R) and neither of them act as a dongle.

And as was said, all Mbox and 003 family interfaces act as the Pro Tools' authentication device (still not sure about the Micro, maybe it is though).

No it doesn't. An iLok is required (comes with the software). I've been through three M-Audio interfaces with Pro Tools M-Powered (MobilePre USB, Fast Track Pro, and currently Fast Track Ultra 8R) and neither of them act as a dongle.

And as was said, all Mbox and 003 family interfaces act as the Pro Tools' authentication device (still not sure about the Micro, maybe it is though).

is this "new" or always been this way?

Back