Losing Midi Control Assignments - Solutions Logic 9

liquid reef

So my biggest frustration with Logic is that once in a while it will crash, and when it does it forgets ALL midi controller assignments that I have specified. This is a well known and documented problem in Logic and maybe even in some other programs as well. I've searched extensively all over the internet to try and find a solution to this. The only potential solutions I've found are:

- Copy the com.apple.logic.cs file from the user/library/preferences folder and make a backup of it, as this is where it is thought that control surface assignments are stored. Also make a backup of the Logic key commands through the key commands menu. I tried this in Logic 8 and it didn't work, I've backed up my Logic 9 prefs and so far haven't experienced a crash to test it. I found out that it writes these files upon quitting of Logic, and that may have been the reason it didn't work in my previous Logic 8 because I copied them after saving and not quitting the program, but I'm not sure.

- The other solution I've been reading about is a programplugin called LC XMU (opuslocus.com/lcxmu/). I'm about to try downloading the demo and see if it will come with the manual. The forums on the website seem to be down or broken.

From my understanding this program will read your controller surface and allow you to save your controller maps as files individually, so you can have multiple surface workflows if you want. Then, it seems as Logic is supposed to read LC XMU as your controller, and not your controller directly. THis seems like a great idea but I can't find anyone talking about this actually working.

It seems as though there are a couple other programs that do this as well but are only for windows.

Does anyone have any better solutions? This drives me up the wall and I cannot figure it out to save my life.

**Also, it would be important to note that I am using my Akai MPK88 as my surface. I have the Vyzex editor for it as well, I don't think Vyzex has the capability of saving your midi maps either.

In Logic I have my midi assignments made for all of my plugins and VSTsAudio Units that I use, and I don't think the vyzex can save everything as a single preset, only instrument by instrument.

What am I missing? Please help! Thanks a bunch.

-LiQ

---------- Post added 11-27-2010 at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was 11-25-2010 at 04:06 PM ----------

Hey Logic 9 actually crashed on me last night several times and never lost its assignments. I'm hoping it stays this way.

Now i'm getting the system overload coreaudio message constantly. I think it's my ram.

Back