Looking for the perfect companion DAW for Maschine...

youngregin

Yo FP, I need some advice. Here's the thing: My wife just got me Maschine Studio for Christmas (Yes, I know...greatest wife EVER, right? lol). I've been a Propellerhead Reason user for years and I'm updated to version 8. I see a lot of people using Maschine with Logic Pro X, or they'll flip over to Ableton and use that as a companion piece. I'm looking to add one more DAW to make sure I'm able to do whatever, from full songs to scoring movies or something. I haven't upgraded my Pro Tools set up in ages, and I'm hearing a lot of good things about Logic Pro X, so I was thinking of going that route, particularly to transfer my Maschine stuff to there and arranging and mixing it there. At the same time, Reason 8 does a lot of the same stuff now, and I could transfer my Maschine files there and mix also. I know there are limitations to every DAW, and I know Reason has a few. Do you guys think it's worth it to add Logic Pro X to "complete the cypher?" I'm also hearing a lot of great things about Studio One, but I've been skeptical because it's still kind of new. I'm not trying to be a gear whore, and I don't want to add so much stuff that I spend more time learning how to use stuff vs getting stuff done. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Using another daw besides reason is only necessary if vsts matter at all to you.
Reason can use standalone as vsts but never figured out that method so just rewired :P

But Most daws are good enough. Even so, Wouldn't recommend luna or kristal audio engine. Stuck to studio one as the rewire master.

Good daws to consider?
Studio one
Reaper
cubase
ableton
never touched logic but it looks good too
orion
bitwig

But to be frank, if you got maschine then that should be enough.Unless that doesn't support rewire.

Using another daw besides reason is only necessary if vsts matter at all to you.
Reason can use standalone as vsts but never figured out that method so just rewired :P

But Most daws are good enough. Even so, Wouldn't recommend luna or kristal audio engine. Stuck to studio one as the rewire master.

Good daws to consider?
Studio one
Reaper
cubase
ableton
never touched logic but it looks good too
orion
bitwig

But to be frank, if you got maschine then that should be enough.Unless that doesn't support rewire.

Thanks for the feedback. Maschine has drag & drop, and you could export them out into a folder and import them into Reason. I guess I'm just trying to see if it's worth it to branch out into another DAW of if I should just bite the bullet and upgrade my Pro Tools to the latest version. Avid been on such BS lately, though...I may end up doing that at the end of the day. Just not looking forward to it. lol

I use S1 if I get that vst itch when it comes to reason since I never learned that VB workaround.
But are you sure maschine has no rewire? Even LMMS I think does that o_O

I tried protools one time and one time only. That's just my opinion lol.

S1
Cubase
Reaper
Orion
ableton
Motu
Fl studio also.

Never touched a maschine at all so I have no idea what that's all about on that front with rewire.

Back