Logic VS. Reason

K

kcpoet

I have a MAC and just wondering which program I should get. I make my own beats and was wondering what the major differences are between the 2. Also am I good to go with logic express or would i need to go with Logic 7. My boy uses reason and thats what he says I should get. For the most part I use Garage band. So I'm pretty clueless and they ain't cheap, so would someone share their intellect on this matter? Much appreciation!

uh well i'm a MAC guy too and i have tried both software and it seems that Logic is more loop based like Garageband and Reason is more creation of you own music rather than loops

i too use a mac for production. and have just started using logic pro 7. i mainly use it for recording and mastering, but have just started recording beats for a friend of mine. its brilliant loads of voices to choose from as standard and its easy to sample beats etc from where ever. i have to admit ive not used reason but logic is great. i'd also recomend a look at ableton live a lot of top producers are using it from daft punk to sacha, even mr mark ronson.

good luck either way

n.eatwell

NPE AE

imho is comparing logic to reason like comparing cubase to FL.
either one has its own purpose therefor its own advantages & disadvantages.

Last edited:
Logic 7 Pro. It has everything you need in software, but is short on samples. Has synths infinatly better then reasons. Add some sample library like sample tank or an orchestra thing and you set. Personaly I have them both. If your on a tight budget get reason, 199$ for the academic version (same as full). Just know you wont have the same power or be able to record.

bobsmitt said:
uh well i'm a MAC guy too and i have tried both software and it seems that Logic is more loop based like Garageband and Reason is more creation of you own music rather than loops

That is completely untrue. You obviously haven't tried either of the programs, or you'd know that you can make your own original music. Unless you're a big sample guy, Logic (and even Garageband) are amazing programs. I make my beats using a MIDI keyboard, drum pad, and Logic/Garageband. Recording on Garageband is so simple, but it's only a beginner program. Logic is a much more powerful program than Reason, but the learning curve is a lot higher.

Sqito said:
imho is comparing logic to reason like comparing cubase to FL.
either one has its own purpose therefor its own advantages & disadvantages.

YUP. Apples and oranges really. Also saying that Logic's synths are infinintley better than reason's is a bit of an exageration. Maybe logics synths have better presets. Also I'm not sure about the latest version of logic but I do know that the past versions had a pretty steep learning curve. Especially compared to something like Reason which you can basically start making tracks within 15 minutes of installing it.

It's an interesting comparison. When I think about it, Logic has a lot of what makes Reason interesting, but Logic might actually be beating Reason out and still neck and neck on pricing. Reason's strengths are low resource usage, decent stock sounds and instruments, and clever routing that's fun to work with. Logic beats Reason all day long on the quality and quantity of it's instruments and same for FX, has far more sample content, and is remarkably resource friendly. It doesn't have the jiggly wires like Reason though. If anyone had to choose between those two, I'd recommend Logic. Reason is cool, but Logic will do more for you. A whole lot more. The two products, although costing more or less the same, are entirely different products because Reason really is just doing it's own thing. There's nothing else really like Reason. Logic is a major workstation like Cubase and Sonar.

Reason is a synth based sequencer with sampling and MIDI capabilities. That's basically it.

Logic is - in a nutshell - a software emulation of a sound desk, with all of reason's features and more. Also it has more flexibility when you start dealing with racks, and external synths... recording, mixing, and mastering are lightyears ahead of Reason. Waves bundles (along with other synths/plugins/FX etc) can be utilised.. I am yet to find a way to utilise external plugins with reason.

I use Reason on my PC to come up with ideas, then usually save the MIDI and transfer it to the studio which is running G5 Powermac's with Logic and various other hardware/software.
The studio I work with utilises Logic over ProTools even! The reason being quality is basically on par, and it's a hell of a lot cheaper than getting a fully licensed ProTools setup.

Oh and logic 8 is loads more user friendlyt than previous versionms

Last edited:
wuSHUMast3r said:
That is completely untrue. You obviously haven't tried either of the programs, or you'd know that you can make your own original music. Unless you're a big sample guy, Logic (and even Garageband) are amazing programs. I make my beats using a MIDI keyboard, drum pad, and Logic/Garageband. Recording on Garageband is so simple, but it's only a beginner program. Logic is a much more powerful program than Reason, but the learning curve is a lot higher.
100% True... only get Logic if you are willing to master your craft and take your ability to its highest potential. I recomend you get Logic 8. 4 times better than 7. Its harder to learn than reason becuase you can do alot more. Reason is also a good program. I have them both and sometimes I rewire reason into Logic to use some of the sounds in reason. well i used to but not any more. One thing thats not arguable is that logic is the most complete software out of reason,fl,cubase. It has great audio and midi abilities. 500$ tho.

"One thing thats not arguable is that logic is the most complete software out of reason,fl,cubase."

Not to turn this into a big debate, but I use all those applications and I've always felt that Cubase was the best and most complete with the exception that Logic of course has better and more instruments and FX, and samples included. You can't touch Logic for that, but Cubase wins pretty much everywhere else except midi where they're a tie.

L. A. Stone said:
"One thing thats not arguable is that logic is the most complete software out of reason,fl,cubase."

Not to turn this into a big debate, but I use all those applications and I've always felt that Cubase was the best and most complete with the exception that Logic of course has better and more instruments and FX, and samples included. You can't touch Logic for that, but Cubase wins pretty much everywhere else except midi where they're a tie.

yeah thats why i said Logic is the most complete. cause it is tied for the most part but there are certain things that bring it over the top. Cubase is Like Digital Performer in the sense that the audio tracking is dope and the midi is pretty good too. But Logic still has a little bit over both of them.

Canei said:
yeah thats why i said Logic is the most complete. cause it is tied for the most part but there are certain things that bring it over the top. Cubase is Like Digital Performer in the sense that the audio tracking is dope and the midi is pretty good too. But Logic still has a little bit over both of them.

They each have a little bit on each other, it just depends on what's important to each user.

L. A. Stone said:
They each have a little bit on each other, it just depends on what's important to each user.
yeah i agree. And that applies to every DAW. but if you had to buy only 1 Software Program to complete an album Logic would be the way to go because its pretty good at everything. DP is a beast too tho im surprised i dont see people talking about that too much on this site.

Canei said:
yeah i agree. And that applies to every DAW. but if you had to buy only 1 Software Program to complete an album Logic would be the way to go because its pretty good at everything. DP is a beast too tho im surprised i dont see people talking about that too much on this site.

I would agree with that, depending on what kind of album you're talking about. Synths and real instrument emulation, I'd go for Logic first. Sample work, Logic would be next to last. Reason would be dead last.

I don't even see why there's a comparison. REASON is not a full fledge DAW. It has NO audio and will not have audio(I asked PH). Logic has audio and from what I"m hearing, just as good or better sounds. REASON does not have audio and that's one of the reasons it has a smaller footprint. I have reason. But, if I had a MAC I would have Logic hands down.

Reason may be the same price because you still have to buy another DAW to add vocals to your track anyways. So your overall cost may be more.

Back