logic vs. fl vs. pro tools

Takelsey

Ive been using fl for about a year or so, and I love it! But I'm aware that pro tools is an industry standard and ive also heard some pretty good things about logic, as well. Well if I got a beat placement would pt be required?
Most importantly: which is right for me? Things I use DAW's for :
-recording into step sequencer
-creating my own instrument sounds with vst's
-recording vocals
-recording drum beats with my electronic drumset
-experimenting

Can logic and pt do what I already do? Its not about what DAW you use, its your ability to use it. Therefor what I'm asking, is which can help me do these things more efficiently? Thanks for posting.

Having used all three, I would say that the best choice for you would be logic. Fl is fairly midi based and pro tools is fairly audio based. You'd have a tough time composing beats in pro tools. Logic gives the best of both worlds. However, if you were to choose fl or logic, you could always render the files to audio to use in the "industry standard" pro tools. I feel that logic not only gives the best of both worlds in terms of audio and midi and also has a much ether mixer then fl, and a much more mature and professional approach then fl

Your on windows. Don't buy a mac just to switch software.
Don't switch software to become "industry standard" either.

Pretty much all engineers work with wave files. All DAW's can export .wav format.
Therefore PT is not needed.
The version of pt your probably talking about (ptle) is certainly no better than Samplitude silver (freeware).
Use that, or get Reaper if you want more flexibility with audio.

Keep FL for making beats.
Logic is surely fantastic, but so is FL, and buying an expensive mac just to use a new app seems silly to me.

Last edited:
I don't mean to piggyback the last post, but I would like to chime in. The Mac and PC debate will never end. The reason I chose to have a PC and a Mac is that I can dedicate the Mac 100% to music production. I use my PC laptop for a variety of tasks but the macbook pro is 100% used for music and nothing else. I'm new to Logic but not new to software, so I have for the most part, fallen right into Logic and am enjoying it thoroughly. Using FL I have made some cool music no doubt, but it just lacks certain elements that are important to me. I have made a few nice sampled tracks with it but I haven't dedicated myself to knowing the program upside down and backwards like some people I know have. I used to hate on FL and everything that came out of it but there are cats who are deadly with that software. I was hard headed and was using a MOTIF ES8 for all my beat making for a long time. I learned that board and just stuck with it but was hearing music from software that was cleaner and better, also the workflow difference was insane. I have since gotten my head out of my a*s and have made the move to Logic and the MPC 1000 setup that I use now. With a nice Midi controller and Logic and the MPC there's not much left to be desired, for me anyway. Just pick a DAW and learn that joker inside and out the same as you would an ASR10, a MOTIF or any other hardware instrument. All 3 (Pro Tools, Logic and FLstudio) can be deadly in the right hands.

Last edited:
Ive been using fl for about a year or so, and I love it! But I'm aware that pro tools is an industry standard and ive also heard some pretty good things about logic, as well. Well if I got a beat placement would pt be required?
Most importantly: which is right for me? Things I use DAW's for :
-recording into step sequencer
-creating my own instrument sounds with vst's
-recording vocals
-recording drum beats with my electronic drumset
-experimenting

Can logic and pt do what I already do? Its not about what DAW you use, its your ability to use it. Therefor what I'm asking, is which can help me do these things more efficiently? Thanks for posting.
Which did you end up choosing? I would have stuck with FL you're not missing out on anything with PT/Logic. They're great too but the real important thing is how good you are at producing not what DAW you're using IMO. It's easy to collaborate with all DAWs even if your clients are using PT or Logic or w.e.

In my opinion better is simply a matter of what YOU can use the best. Doesn't matter if a program has 1,000 features if its hard for you to use, to expensive for you to purchase, or doesn't work well with your existing gear.

There are obviously some programs better situated for production (Reason, Fruity,Ableton) rather than mixing. Some are better at mixing, than production (protools) and Some programs do both very well like Logic and Sonar, Cubase.

Overall, mixing is about knowing how to mix in the first place - not about what you mix on. Once you factor in plug-ins you can use the same plugin with almost any program so the sound quality and features of the plug in are portable, which makes the DAW your using, not even matter. If I can mix with WAVES in ProTools, then I can mix with WAVES inside Cubase, Logic Sonar ect . . . . .

I don't think FL is very useful for recording live vocals or instruments. I prefer to use Cubase or even Audition to get my voice samples out and then import them to FL. I like the step sequencer and piano roll in FL as it's quite simple to use.

You Can Do all The same things U can do in protools and login in FL Studio... It all depends on how u like the workflow... Imma Cubase Kinda guy though I have tried em all... I use FL Studio For makin beats... and Cubase to record vocalss

Back