Logic Pro X Producers: What is your process for Hip Hop creation in Logic?

Snow Globe

Snow Globe Beats
How do you start out the instrumental? Do you use VSTs or the stock instruments? What are your go-to plug-ins? Do you master your instrumental at all, and do you use stock plug-ins like the multipressor? I appreciate it.

I'm terrible at hip hop production. Always wanted that boom bap kinda style.

Anyway I use to start with a sample chop it up and then either sample a drum loop or make a drum kit in the EXS24 with one shots.

Play a bassline with a sine wave synth underneath the notes from the sample. I always sucked at this style and I hate it because I love it so much.

If making more modern hip hop I'd make a kit with one shots and use a synth for a bassline to get a groove going and then see where I drift away from there. Find this method a lot easier.

Never really used much else other than EQ and Compressors and Reverb.

I'm not a hip hop producer by the way....... just sometimes for fun

I'm more into the organic hip hop sound and because i can play a couple of instruments i usually start by laying down a bassline with my electric bass. i'll then use chopped up drum shots to create the main groove which will lock in with the bass. Once i'm happy with the groove i'll decide from there what to add, if anything at all. i'm a long time EXS24 user so that's my go for anything sample related. i'm also a massive Izotope fan and use Alloy on group busses and Ozone on master channel

Back