LIVE 8 ... Does it crash on you too?

The new Groove Engine.
The new effects.
The new Track Group function.
The new crossfades feature.
The new waveform display and scrubbing right in the browser.
The new plug in parameter configuration.
The new enhanced midi editor.
The new warp engine.
The new presets for everything in the Suite.

just curious?

are not having these features a "show stopper"?

i do not sample at all but my compositions sounds (the actual music) the same on verision 4, 5, 6, and 7.

in other words, me upgrading to 5, 6 and 7 was a waste...

features are great but i am more into the performance (keyboard skills, knowledge of the roles of the drums part and bass part, harmonies, melodies, arrangments, etc) of the sequence/song and the above features do not enhence a performance. most of these features are after the fact of recording your sequence/song...

again, i am a proud user of ableton since ver 4 (currently own 7) but IMO these features does not enhence the performance of the sequence/song...

Last edited:
Fair enough. Everyone's needs are different. I have been a Live user since version 5, and for me, all of those features are must have items. All of them were heavily requested by users, and have finally been implemented in 8.

Does that mean that 7 is not a good product?
No.

It's just means that Ableton is continuing to try to give users what they are asking for with 8.

Fair enough. Everyone's needs are different. I have been a Live user since version 5, and for me, all of those features are must have items. All of them were heavily requested by users, and have finally been implemented in 8.

Does that mean that 7 is not a good product?
No.

It's just means that Ableton is continuing to try to give users what they are asking for with 8.

this depends on the users...

like the slicing to MIDI function...

i think komplete 3 had intakt (discontiued) and intakt "basically" does the same thing as the slicer to MIDI function...

i am just saying that they are charging for updates/upgrades that should be free...

better midi editing is another example...

why should a customer pay for "better midi editing" when ableton added midi in ver 4?

Last edited:
I think Ableton's upgrade path is pretty reasonable. After all, you don't have to upgrade at all, and usually most of the big releases have had so many improvements and new things that it's pointless to single out a feature like that. That said, I probably wouldn't have upgraded to 8 (from 7) if I hadn't got the Suite at the same time. Most of the updated features are - as observed - pretty simple (yet essential, like group tracks) workflow improvements.

Back