LIVE 8 ... Does it crash on you too?

I haven't had any problems either, really. Couple of odd semi-crashes - it kinda f*cked up but still let me save, so no problem there - but no full-blown lockups at all.

i am a proud ableton live (ver. 7) user and i think live is becoming bloatware...

how many more features can you add to it?

i think one of the next paying upgrade/update is going to be a rewrite...

before the latest version of cubase steinberg had the same problem too, just kept adding more code. they stopped developing cubase sx3/sl3 and rewrote the product line.

i think ableton has added to many features to the product. i think they should divide the product into different products. one for djing, one for composing/video, one for making beats, etc. think about it, what percentage of features do you actually use/need?

this is where you have to give propellerhead credit because thier products are simple (to use) and straight forward. no bloat...

I disagree. I like the fact that Live is constantly being developed. For what it's worth, they are aggressively attacking any reported bugs:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=119282

Bugs are just a part of life when it's comes to software and hardware. How a company goes about solving the problems makes all of the difference in the world. If you are having problems with Live, what I would suggest is that you post it in the bugs forum to see if other users can duplicate the error, and let tech support know. So far, I have to say that I have been satisfied with how they are handling Live 8.

The whole forum is full of people complaining about crashes, lol. I thought it was me and my PC configuration or something.

I'm not talking about lock up's, I'm talking about - add a drum rack and your whole entire PC reboots and then chkdsk delete's the song you were working on for you and wipes out all of the LIVE 8 configuration files so you have to authorize it all over.

Yep, I've uninstall and reinstalled it twice and I rush to get their little updates... still same thing. REASON never seems to crash for some reason... no matter how many modules you load up.

and these past times... there were no vsti's loaded... just a beat bangin' and you add something.... BLACK SCREEN.... loading Windows... chkdsk runs... song gone. If you skip chkdsk... the song still won't load.

I give up. When they make LIVE 9, I'll download that last version of LIVE 8 and give it another go... maybe. Pretty sad because LIVE 7 never crashed and I used to brag about LIVE on here all the time.

Does anybody know how I can get LIVE 7, do they have the old versions on their site?

The whole forum is full of people complaining about crashes, lol. I thought it was me and my PC configuration or something.

I'm not talking about lock up's, I'm talking about - add a drum rack and your whole entire PC reboots and then chkdsk delete's the song you were working on for you and wipes out all of the LIVE 8 configuration files so you have to authorize it all over.

Yep, I've uninstall and reinstalled it twice and I rush to get their little updates... still same thing. REASON never seems to crash for some reason... no matter how many modules you load up.

and these past times... there were no vsti's loaded... just a beat bangin' and you add something.... BLACK SCREEN.... loading Windows... chkdsk runs... song gone. If you skip chkdsk... the song still won't load.

I give up. When they make LIVE 9, I'll download that last version of LIVE 8 and give it another go... maybe. Pretty sad because LIVE 7 never crashed and I used to brag about LIVE on here all the time.

Does anybody know how I can get LIVE 7, do they have the old versions on their site?

Come back home to REASON. It will never let u down. lol

biggrome, you can download Live 7.0.16, which is the latest version of Live 7 right here:

http://www.ableton.com/download-live-lite?v=full

If you are a registered user, you can put in your code and use it all you want.

FWIW, I haven't heard of anyone's pc doing what you are describing with Live. I had a problem exactly like that before on my old pc, and it wasn't the software. It ended up being the power supply.

I can load a drum rack while a beat is playing with no crashes at all. I actually grouped an entire set and opened it another set while the beat was playing with no crashes at all.

Last edited:
Thanks KB420, I'm going to see if LIVE 7 does the same thing, if it does then it's my PC configuration.

Stay tuned...

This new REASON sequencer is pretty tight though, lol. I never took the time to learn it before... pretty damn good.

... been using LIVE 7 ALLLL evening... no crashes.

They jumped the gun...

Well, Live 7 took a while to become that stable, but like I said before, if you don't report the exact situation in which Live 8 crashes for you, how is tech support suppose to fix the problem.

Live 8 has only crashed on me once, and that was version 8.0.2.

When I had a problem with Live 8, I emailed tech support and I started a thread about it:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=114648&start=0

The problem was fixed with the next update.

I also verified another problem with Live 8 on another users thread, and that problem was fixed in the next update. All I'm saying is, let them know. The more feedback they get, the more stable Live will be.

Last edited:
Craziest thing is... I installed LIVE 7 again and it didn't crash... then I installed LIVE 8 again without uninstalling LIVE 7... now LIVE 8 hasn't crashed...

I guess the trick is to not uninstall LIVE 7...

I'm still so blown away with 7, I almost can't believe it needs anything else. I havn't even thought about upgrading. What's so amazing about 8? Does it have Beetmaker?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm still so blown away with 7, I almost can't believe it needs anything else. I havn't even thought about upgrading. What's so amazing about 8? Does it have Beetmaker?

I missed the Groove library when I went back to LIVE 7 ... that was it. I don't use the other stuff (yet)

Once you get spoiled by having something... kinda hard to let go.

I take back all of the REASON bashing I did though, REASON 4 is great. I just don't like the super long waits between upgrades... gotta keep me stimulated with added toys even if I don't use 'em.

P.S.: I'm not a musician, I'm just a guy that like to dabble in music and make beats.

The new Groove Engine.
The new effects.
The new Track Group function.
The new crossfades feature.
The new waveform display and scrubbing right in the browser.
The new plug in parameter configuration.
The new enhanced midi editor.
The new warp engine.
The new presets for everything in the Suite.

I can't imagine startng the learning curve over again...i might have to check this out though.

That's about the only thing it doesn't have.

I'm a fan again. The crashes frustrated me.

Wish I had a PC with just Windows and LIVE 8 on it...

That's a good move. That's what I have. I bought my pc from Jim Roseberry. He overclocked it and already had Windows configured for the best audio performace with all the tweaks. All I use it for is music. The only time I go online with it is to authorize software. I don't even download updates with it. I do it with another computer which is networked with the music pc and I just send the file over to it. It never crashes. It never has any problems with spyware or viruses. It's rock solid.

My internet computer only has a AMD 3200+ processor, but that's all I need to access the internet.

Last edited:
i'm still on 7... realized i didn't need 8 @ all... they'd have 2 go above and beyond for me 2 even get nine... i'm so content...

Back