A Little More Complicated than "What DAW?"

sully212

Hey everyone. First post.

I'm an older (probably way older... lmao) guy who is getting back into production after a very long time.

I have an ok background in music in general and my experience dates back to 4 track analog recorders and Cakewalk DAW from a million years ago. ha ha ha

What I'm trying to do is what everyone is trying to do. Set up an "affordable" production platform to create deep house, "dubstep" and other electronic and dance music.

I have an old macbook that is stuck on an old operating system (Leopard) and I grabbed a copy of a DAW called Reaper and have been making some music in it. However... I need to create my own basslines. Not happy with any samples I'm finding and want to sequence them in myself using maybe a virtual synth to create the sound.

I found VSTs for Reaper, but... they're all .dll files. Very few Mac VSTs out there.

Given I have an old MacBook running Leopard and really don't feel like dropping 2 grand for a new Mac for what is just a hobby...

What hardware and software would would one recommend to be able to:

1) Be able to download a huge number of free VST or other instrument files
2) Produce Deep House and Dubstep sort of styles
3) Best audio quality
4) Good effects/mix/etc.
5) Good, no lag sample playback even on hugely saturated projects with tons of samples

Basically trying to come up with a reasonable cost setup including both hardware and software. So cheaper hardware with an expensive DAW is ok, as is expensive hardware with a free DAW (and plenty of free instrument downloads).

Any advice?

And I guess a follow on question is what hardware/software combo will do the above, plus be able to run a virtual DJ program?

I actually go to a lot of festivals and things like that and would want to be able to do basic DJing from this same platform.

Literally no DJ software will run on my Macbook with Leopard.

Get Ableton or FL Studio & a Midi Keyboard such as MPK49 + an Audio Interface such as Focusrite Scarlet

Now get to work !

Back