Kong vs. Redrum which is better? what do you like about each?

thamayors

Reason or Fl Studio
Im a lil iffy about Kong, which is why im starting this thread. i would like to hear what you guys think. Im just now getting comfortable with Redrum and cant imagine why i would need Kong. Please reply.

Of course Kong cause if redrum was that super great why would they make two thangs that do the same thang ha ¿

Of course Kong cause if redrum was that super great why would they make two thangs that do the same thang ha ¿

Kong is actually a very different deeper module than redrum. The only similarity is that they can both load wav files and preset kits but thats where the similarities end. My favorite features about Kong

-Great fx rack that I can use with other devices in Reason or on the pads themselves
- Kong is a synth
- Creating deep layered instruments is way easier with Kong
- 16 slots means I can make songs with just one Kong if needed rather than needing several with the redrum and the NNXT
- The types of machines are totally different. Kong is more like a modern drum machine vs Redrum which is really just a step sequencer that you can load sounds in ala the old Roland TR 808/909 ect.

that said I prefer Kong because imo its easier to do much more. I never really liked the Redrum and have wanted a deeper drum machine since 2.5.

Im a lil iffy about Kong, which is why im starting this thread. i would like to hear what you guys think. Im just now getting comfortable with Redrum and cant imagine why i would need Kong. Please reply.

It depends on what you are doing.

For step sequencing, very simple sample playback, easy automation and direct use of audio outputs Redrum wins.

For logical mapping to a pad controller, detailed drum editing, drum synthesis, Rex file manipulation, Live drum triggering, for tapping in drums in realtime not using the step sequencer, Kong wins.

Both gets use in my projects. I typically play in my drum rhythms so I don't always need the step sequencer. I rarely automate parameters on my drums, so Kongs automation limitations don't apply too much to me. Biggest gripes is the lack of all of the individual outs, no tape delay sync, and no drag/drop (something I would think is extremely important for a software drum sampler)

But if I do need fast high hats or do 1/64th note programming, I will definitely pull out a Redrum.

I kind of wish they did a Redrum II. I was more or less happy with Redrum's current abilities minus the step sequencer being a little outdated compared to the ones in FL Studio and Geist.

I don't really consider Kong an mpc clone though, the main thing it excels in is being a tool for tuning/shaping your drums.

Redrum could be somewhat confusing at times for this task because each cell did slightly different things, so you always had to think about what cell should I put a certain sound in. In Kong you can configure your cells to do exactly what you want and still have more control over Redrum (most of the time).

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

- Creating deep layered instruments is way easier with Kong

I thought using the CV gate Out to a CV gate In in Redrum was real quick and simple.

I created some nice phat drumkits in Redrum, but Kong can work the same way as well.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

- 16 slots means I can make songs with just one Kong if needed rather than needing several with the redrum and the NNXT

I must have been the only person who did fine with 10 drum kits and it was always so easy to make another one if I happened to run out.

Last edited:
Both gets use in my projects. I typically play in my drum rhythms so I don't always need the step sequencer. I rarely automate parameters on my drums, so Kongs automation limitations don't apply too much to me. Biggest gripes is the lack of all of the individual outs, no tape delay sync, and no drag/drop (something I would think is extremely important for a software drum sampler)

But if I do need fast high hats or do 1/64th note programming, I will definitely pull out a Redrum.

I kind of wish they did a Redrum II. I was more or less happy with Redrum's current abilities minus the step sequencer being a little outdated compared to the ones in FL Studio and Geist.

I don't really consider Kong an mpc clone though, the main thing it excels in is being a tool for tuning/shaping your drums.

Redrum could be somewhat confusing at times for this task because each cell did slightly different things, so you always had to think about what cell should I put a certain sound in. In Kong you can configure your cells to do exactly what you want and still have more control over Redrum (most of the time).

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:22 PM ----------

I thought using the CV gate Out to a CV gate In in Redrum was real quick and simple.

I created some nice phat drumkits in Redrum, but Kong can work the same way as well.

---------- Post added at 04:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 PM ----------

I must have been the only person who did fine with 10 drum kits and it was always so easy to make another one if I happened to run out.

I dont really see Kong as a mpc clone either. I think people get that from looking at it and the fact that it loads drum sounds. if they actually learned to use it in depth they would see its not that. As far as deep layered instruments you can only get up to 10 parts per redrum. Kong is unlimited and a simple button click rather than wiring. which is why i say its easier but redrum isnt hard because of that. And there are times where I use all 16 pads for drums to create variations on a break break i loaded to kong. not each high hat hit is going to be the same because drummers don't hit at the same constant velocity. I work accordingly. Between the two though I like Kong. I never really liked Redrum much anyway.

both! goes hard, i can't say which is better cause if you think about it, kong is just a mini nntx and oct with effects CVing them with reddrum and kong you couldn't do before kong was made...reason why i say both cause is a new trick

both! goes hard, i can't say which is better cause if you think about it, kong is just a mini nntx and oct with effects CVing them with reddrum and kong you couldn't do before kong was made...reason why i say both cause is a new trick

Theres way more going on in Kong than the mini NNXT and the mini dr rex though. How about the drum synths and the analog modeling? what about the fx that u can route to any other Reason device? And some of those fx sound a bit different than the stand alone fx devices.

Whats beautiful about them both is to use them together. The user Bandcoach gave a combi patch in which I use redrum to trigger Kong in the redrum step sequencer. Dope ish....send me ur email and Ill send it to you.

Whats beautiful about them both is to use them together. The user Bandcoach gave a combi patch in which I use redrum to trigger Kong in the redrum step sequencer. Dope ish....send me ur email and Ill send it to you.

why is that so great? I've used them both together but I'd personally rather not use Redrum at all. So much more flexible imo. But heres a quick how to for people who don't know how.

Its great if you want to use Kong as a sequencer...the capabilties of Kong are great as far sound control. So IF YOU want to use it this way its great. But flexibility is why they re both great.

Back