Komplete 5/6/7 80GBs samples and hardly any guitar sounds. What's up with that?

Kontakt 4 has the following guitars:

Akkord Guitar(guitar chords)
Elektrik Guitar
Funk Guitar
Harmonic Guitar
Jazz Guitar
Nylon Guitar
Rhythm Rock Guitar
Rock Guitar
Solo Guitar

Mix any of these guitars with Guitar rig and you can make an infinite number of patches to fill your standard bread and butter palate. Not to say its the end all be all guitars, but there are definitely guitars in there, and they arent terrible if you play.

I'll look into them. I did play with the funk guitar, but it's got too much noise and does not sound like any funk guitar I know. Did the nylon...scratch the two rock guitars...

I mean...How about some basics? Like

Plucked, muted, wah...useful stuff.

I'll look into them. I did play with the funk guitar, but it's got too much noise and does not sound like any funk guitar I know. Did the nylon...scratch the two rock guitars...

I mean...How about some basics? Like

Plucked, muted, wah...useful stuff.

Kontakt has a knob on the guitars that lets you change the articulation type. "Plucked" and "Muted" are articulations, and not types of guitars. There are also wah knobs, Noise (string noise), and pickup knobs...turn some knobs and see what you get. The basics are there in that regard. It doesnt have EVERY guitar model in existence but it has some of the articulations and effects (see guitar rig 4) , just need to get to know your library better.

I was looking into Papen RG. It's sort of that loop type plugin with the advantage of controlling the strokes using the step pattern format. People can talk smack about it, but eventually, I will probably end up getting someone to perform guitar licks on my Jams.

I just find it Crazy that NI has 20 piano instruments (at least) and just ONE guitar instrument that's more for rock than anything else. Even if they had a lite version of CH Guitars, it would be cool. But, they don't have nuthin'!

the head guy at specstrasonics sez that creating guitar plugins are very hard to do and that is why specstrasonics have not created one. there are so many variables you have to consider when making a guitar plugin... i do not know exactly what sound(s) you are looking for but there are times i try to create a RnB/Jazz guitar using an epiano/rhodes patch with guitar rig 4... you could look at Electrity too...

Kontakt has a knob on the guitars that lets you change the articulation type. "Plucked" and "Muted" are articulations, and not types of guitars. There are also wah knobs, Noise (string noise), and pickup knobs...turn some knobs and see what you get. The basics are there in that regard. It doesnt have EVERY guitar model in existence but it has some of the articulations and effects (see guitar rig 4) , just need to get to know your library better.
No offense to OP, but I thought the same thing. I don't own Kontakt 4, but when using it in other studios with Guitar Rig, I was able to quickly get some realistic patches. And not "realistic" as in I don't know any better, I can play real guitar a little and have hired guitarists to get me the sound I wanted before.

No offense to OP, but I thought the same thing. I don't own Kontakt 4, but when using it in other studios with Guitar Rig, I was able to quickly get some realistic patches. And not "realistic" as in I don't know any better, I can play real guitar a little and have hired guitarists to get me the sound I wanted before.

i have to agree with the OP...

compared to the guitar patches in ministry of rock, electric6ty and omnisphere the kontakt guitar are not in the same class...

i know this subject matter is subjective but...

just my opinion...

^^^I agree with that. But those are just more dedicated libraries. Saying they're more dedicated doesn't equate to Kontakt being "limited" in my book, but I can understand others who think it is.

^^^I agree with that. But those are just more dedicated libraries. Saying they're more dedicated doesn't equate to Kontakt being "limited" in my book, but I can understand others who think it is.

kontakt the vsti is a "bad boi"... the included library is "just" an example of what can be done using kontakt scripting... those actual guitar samples has been in the kontakt library from kontakt 1/kompakt...

in my opinion if you are looking for quaility guitar sounds or any specific sounds the dedicated libraries are the way to go...

kontakt is a great product for housing 3rd party sample libraries...

maybe the OP should look into picking up some libraries from other samplers and using them in Kontakt. Considering the sheer number of formats that Kontakt can import, I'm quite certain that one can find guitar sounds to your liking.

Last edited:
Logic 9 comes with the create your own guitar amp thing which is kinda like a combinator for guitars its pretty dope to get a nice guitar sound

i feel your pain...

there are not too many funky, jazzy and RnB type guitar riffs plugins on the market... a matter of fact i do not think the technology is yet available to create a convincing funky, jazzy, etc sounds...

with that being said... sampled guitar loops/rex guitar loops may be the answer...

What do you think about Papen RG? It seems to be a cool rythym guitar modeling plugin and it's cheap.

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Good Point. I'll look into those articulations tonight. I saw them in the orchestral package, so I know what you mean.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 PM ----------

I appreciate everyones input on this. I still find it crazy that NI has at least 1000+ piano patches and only 10-15 guitar patches. Guitar rig is cool, but sometimes you just wanna "load n go". More so when you're composing.

i can see where youre coming from. actually sampletank comes with a TON of guitar sounds. even more if you buy that guitar expansion pack. You may wanna get that pack, it's not expensive at all. I have NI Komplete, and sometimes ill pull up a quick guitar in Sampletank and run it thru guitar rig (mostly solo leads for R&B). I rarely do that nowadays tho, I have a real electric guitar and that is just way more accurate than any patch, especially for power chords and licks. That being said I cant say enough how awesome guitar rig is!

i can see where youre coming from. actually sampletank comes with a TON of guitar sounds. even more if you buy that guitar expansion pack. You may wanna get that pack, it's not expensive at all. I have NI Komplete, and sometimes ill pull up a quick guitar in Sampletank and run it thru guitar rig (mostly solo leads for R&B). I rarely do that nowadays tho, I have a real electric guitar and that is just way more accurate than any patch, especially for power chords and licks. That being said I cant say enough how awesome guitar rig is!

It's funny you mentioned that. I had to resort to using sampletank for my muted guitar patch. It sounds like I'm going to devote some time to learning guitar rig. I never played the guitar, so some of the settings are not familiar to me.

---------- Post added at 09:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 AM ----------

I think I found a solution

Xpansion Tank 2 has a bunch of Guitars in it along with some other useful patches. It's only 50.00! I have 16.00 in Jam points so this is a no brainer. It ain't CH Guitars but it's good enough and literally costs 10x less.

I'm gonna ask around and see if the sounds are up to par.

Back