Is it just me or?

AKStyleZ

Why is it that when working in Reason, all sounds when loaded into whatever device sounds pretty flat and boring?

I mean I understand that you gotta finetune, eq, reverb, compress and what have you but why couldnt they for example when using Korg Soundbank make them sound as good as possible and then let the user change it if its not already good enough, it would save a lot of time.
So then youd have same setup as you got on hardware synth, so not as much time would be put in finetuning sounds every second.

I guess it's a matter of preference - while there's a lot of people who prefer that "workstation shine" - ie. readymade, polished sounds out of the box, there's probably an equally large crowd of people who'd think having their sounds already taken to a certain direction is trying to push their music into a certain mold, or at least leading into having to spend time "resetting" the sounds to their flat, unprocessed status to be able to start working on them the way they see fit.

I'm firmly in the latter crowd - let me choose what I think sounds good.

I feel u, is this a newbie thing or do you find established producers wanting the same thing as me for example?

Well if you take something like reverb most people want to put it on a send channel and share it with the other tracks.
If you have it on a already preset and you have a lot of tracks like that you will be using alot CPU's
Same thing with delay
I may want it on a send channel so I can apply it to the end of a phrase and not the whole thing.
If it's applied on the preset I have less control

You will find as time goes on that your tracks will start to shine and sound polished without you realizing it. Til one day your like "when did my mixes start sounding so good and my sounds so thick and punchy". Remember that a lot of the polished sound comes from the mastering and mixing.

You would hope that you naturally get better. If you don't you have to learn how digital audio works, and learn the art of mixing.

There is a lot to learn on that topic alone. I recommend this book. I haven't read it from cover to cover, but there is a ton of information in it that will help anyone make better mixes:

41suTflnjPL.jpg

I get yall, I dont underestimate the art of mixxing, I got a great book called The Art of Mixing or whatever its called, it came well recommended on FP so I got it.

I must say it helped me a lot to get the very basics of mixing, the different freqencies, panning, and all those stuff.
Ive got so much to learn its radicilous but theres no shortcuts as you say.
Plus when you get into it, its kinda fun, its a whole new world.

But without monitors I cant really apply all techniques or even tell difference on few things I do which the book might recommend me to do, I guess its because the headphones/built in soundcard cant generate those freqencies or differences in frequencies and just molds the sound.

Thx for all the replies in this thread, each and every one of them, i appriciate it,

do u have a good listening environment? it might not be Reason. It might be ur monitoring set-up.

do u have a good listening environment? it might not be Reason. It might be ur monitoring set-up.
*Smiles* I hope you know why im smiling man, cuz I havent had monitors ever, just been using Headphones with built in soundcard system. Now for the first time (cuz i been working and they just came yesterday) Im able to sitt down and try out my new Yamaha HS80M Monitors :)

Back