It's Live 9 day!

Never owned, but been watching and interested in hearing the leveling comp's sound as well as other features. I wish I could understand Ableton. It looks like the program for me, but I'm too lazy to learn a new program these days. Lol.

What's levelling comp?

It's dead easy to learn. My website takes you from scratch. Doesn't cover everything (yet) but what it does is easy to follow. I learned Live very quickly compared to Reason and Reaper, which I never understood properly.

Does the little things I've been nitpicking about for years.

I love that once you set up your usb midi controller you can just unplug it and plug it back in without exiting or going into preferences and reselecting it. You had to exit and reopen in 8 if that happened.

Curves are good. It used to be very tedious to get automation precise.

I do a lot of transposing, reversing, and inversions...good workflow enhancer.

So glad it has a duplicate button...I remember before it was like highlight Ctrl+D then, go and adjust the start of the loop marker...now you just highlight and hit the duplicate button.

Browser works a lot faster and your not really limited anymore.

Only thing now I really want is a global transpose or fine tune. Now I use the pitch plugin from the midi effects, but that's tedious.

I really cant complain about it...most things I care for speed up my workflow...the other things like audio to midi I didn't even mess with yet, but will get to it.

Last edited:
Does the little things I've been nitpicking about for years.

I do a lot of transposing, reversing, and inversions...good workflow enhancer.

Only thing now I really want is a global transpose or fine tune. Now I use the pitch plugin from the midi effects, but that's tedious.

Yes, global transpose would be nice...I have nothing but praise for 9...you can do literally anything you set your mind to with max 4 live. Your global transpose is there, you just have to make it ;)

I had something for max in 8, but it only did midi...the audio would just stay as is. Long story short it sounded like death converted to soundwaves. I really gotta learn max...never had the free time to sit and learn.

By the way, have a look at this, done using M4L. I'm just testing it but I'll do a review and tutorial soon
session, arrange, mixer and device at the same time in Live.png

Last edited:
Looking forward to that review. I already have dual monitors keep an eye on master effects like spectrum analyzer and phase...Having to not go back n forth would be nice also I'm always trying to make sure I stay within my range for headroom.

Very cool funken, I cant wait to sit down with m4l in 9 (going to try and master it over my spring break). Honestly In my opinion max is what sets live apart from any other daw...once you understand m4l Ableton is anything you want it to be.

Cheers maxy. I did the first few lessons for max, and jotted down some notes on my site, in the last Live 9 tutorial.

I'm busy testing this Floating Windows device now. Unfortunately the designer has just gone to Brazil, not sure how long for, hopefully I can still correspond with him. There's a few small bugs, but basically they are ace! My article accidentally got published while still writing it, you can see what I've written so far in Tutorials/Project Organisation

Back