I want to connect a midi keyboard to Yamaha Rm1x

digitalfingaz

Hi. I have been trying to connect a Casio CTK 481 to a Yamaha Rm1x, all day. I've searched the internet for help and didn't find anything. I've tried messing with the settings on both machines, but nothing has happened. I have the manual to both machines and they don't explain anything. I'm on my last leg here! I don't have any cash flow and I'm just using what I have to the fullest! The keyboard buttons on my rm1x have started to break and a I believe a midi keyboard will do the trick. PLEASE, any help will be welcome! :) Thanks in advance

Digital Fingaz

The RM1X gives you 16 MIDI channels 1-16 by default so you should hear at least one voice from the RM1X being triggered by your Casio and have some activity from the MIDI in and out lights.

If you are trying to use the Casio keyboard keys to access the same keys on the RM1X used as function buttons (to change tracks or sections) rather than musical keys you can forget about it, I have been over the MIDI on this machine and while I have found hidden effects parameters I have yet to find a way to access sequencer functions such as switching patterns via MIDI. Having a switch connected to the foot switch jack at the back of your RM1X will let you switch patterns.

I replaced the failing switches in my RM1X with common tact switches (2 sizes) and I prefer them to the rubber ones Yamaha used, although the board is hard to get to (you have to pull the machine to bits) it was not a hard job, it took me less than 1 hour.

Back