I need a good HARDWARE sequencer with looping and quantizing

• Thread starter da real benny haze
  • Start date
D

da real benny haze

I recently bought an xp 10(synth) and an s2000(sampler) but i need a sequencer with loop and quantize capabilities and also at least 12 tracks but it has to be hardware because my computer isn't capable of those type of programs. It can't be over $350. I was given advice to get a roland mc50 but i heard they were only for modules. I've got my eye on the yamaha qy70 but i dont know if it has the power to run the synth and sampler together. If someone could guide me on what to get I would be grateful because I desperately need to lay down some clean hiphop tracks to use for my lyricsand to sell !!!

Trust me

No my friend - DON"T - I repeat..DON't - get an rmx 1 - Reevaluate your situation. Try to quantize in cubase - its REALLY EZ - If that doesn't do it on the fly enuff for you, get an AKAI MPC 1000 - It's not quite out yet, but it will be soon - and it's going to be the cheapest yet at 1000 bux - TRUST ME ON THIS - DON"T GET CRAPPY RMX1 - or I'll be saying "I told ya soooo" later.

well
if u just want something to do midi only sequencing... i used an Atari ST 1040 with cubase 1.0 for years and it's rock solid & dirt cheap too... I'm sure you can pick one up (2nd hand obviously) for 150-200 dollars & probably a lot less.

If you only want a midi sequencing package then I'm sure even a basic PC can run a basic version of cubase... Hell, before i got my new machine, i ran 64 tracks in Acid on a Pentium 1 100 with 64Mb Ram... OK it crashed every time i tried to use the reverbs etc but what i'm saying is that any PC should be capable of say runnig Cubasis, the free give away version of Cubase.

If you really wanna go the hardware route, Jah Wobble & others have used the QY70, coz it's a nifty little package & timing is good. I have a friend who really rates the RMX1 too....

:)

MM

CUBASIS?

EXPLAIN THIS CUBASIS TO ME. IS IT MIDI OR AUDIO? I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW ABOUT IT. THANKS

try check out "cubasis" on Google.
I'm sure Steinberg must have more details than i have about it.

OK, this to me is a little bit of a grey area and I don't know if people here will have a moral objection to this but...

...seeing as cubasis has been given away for free, i.e. i got a copy on a mixed CD that came with my old sound card and also another copy with a crappy midi keyboard etc - you may be able to get a version of it from kaxaa... I'm not in anyway advocating the cracking of software - in fact the give away versions have no copy protection to crack as far as i'm aware. And I don't think it's right to obtain software without paying for it... but seeing as Cubasis is old but functioing free giveaway software.. it may be an exception...

:)

MM

THANK YOU

THANK you friend. now i am on my way do make milions!!! and all i needed was cubasis!!!:victory:

da real benny haze said:
I... I was given advice to get a roland mc50 but i heard they were only for modules. ...

Someone gave you solid advice there. I know people who can buy anything they want and stick w/ their MC50. It's a great piece of kit, and definately pro-level. Also consider the MC-505 ... which is built a little better, IMHO. I just checked a little history on Ebay ... you can nab either of these within your budget.

Whatever you get, make sure it has a floppy drive to save your work!

But what about the yamaha qy70? How does it compare to the mc50? I'ts very prtable, it has on-board sounds( not that they'll be used alot ) and i heard it have good quantizing. What's your opinion?

messyman said:
well
if u just want something to do midi only sequencing... i used an Atari ST 1040 with cubase 1.0 for years and it's rock solid & dirt cheap too... I'm sure you can pick one up (2nd hand obviously) for 150-200 dollars & probably a lot less.

If you only want a midi sequencing package then I'm sure even a basic PC can run a basic version of cubase... Hell, before i got my new machine, i ran 64 tracks in Acid on a Pentium 1 100 with 64Mb Ram... OK it crashed every time i tried to use the reverbs etc but what i'm saying is that any PC should be capable of say runnig Cubasis, the free give away version of Cubase.

Whilst I have absolutely no knowledge of hardware sequencers I hear you on your above comments in that I used to run cubase 3.55 on a P1 100 with 32mb ram and the midi used to stutter occasionally.

I am in a band at the moment and we still use an ST for midi triggering synths in our live gigs. It is surprisingly stable.

Back