how to sync two sequencers ?

hatembr

hi everybody

i have two computers, one running Cubase VST32 for playing all my MIDI stuff, and the second one running Cubase VST32 and Logic 4.8 and is used for recording what I play (or live performances but i am not concerned with that).
I'd like to record my midi track by track, so i need to sync the two computers. Can someone tell me how to do that (MIDI ??) and what do I have to do in both cubases to sync them ?
Thanks

What soundcards to do you have (more importantly what type of I/O and connections do you have?), and what mixer are you playing the the sounds over? If its a digital mixer you could use that as MTC master and synce both soundcards to that, or syne one soundcard to the other. Will be able to say more when I know what gear you have.

- the MIDI station runs Cubase vst32 with an ISIS soundcard
- the recorder runs Logic Audio 4.7 and Cubase vst32 with 2x Maudio Delta1010 interfaces
- the mixer is an analog Mackie 32x8

Well in that case you can eliminate the desk as having any part to do with syncing. From what I know the ISIS has 8 analogue ins, 4 analogue outs, SPDIF I/O, and MIDI connections. The 1010 has similar I/O but can work at 24/96. So what I do know is that there are no word clock connectors and so the 2 cannot be synced via wordclock. I believe the Delta 1010 has a 'master clock' setting, so try setting this to SPDIF in and connect the SPDIF out from the ISIS into the SPDIF in on the delta 1010. I dont know what settings the ISIS gives but this would be worth a try.

Im not 100% sure about this so if anyone else can help?

If your soundcards don't all have internal Clock or S/PDIF connectors, you can still minimise drifting problems by avoiding long takes lasting several minutes. Each time a new chunk of audio starts playing back, it will commence at an exact time, so by breaking your audio into smaller chunks, you effectively ‘resync' them every time they are triggered.
Each card will have its own crystal oscillator to provide an internal clock signal, and although if you for instance select 44.1kHz as the sample rate on each one, they will both be started by the sequencer application at exactly the same time, once started the two clocks will never be at exactly the same frequency, and will start to slowly drift apart. The timing difference between them will probably be very small, even after several minutes, but will continue to get worse over time.

The above 2 quotes are from Martin Walker, the PC forums moderator at Sound on Sound.

Back