How do i use ReFills?

HipHopBeatMaker

SUPER MOD(ERATOR)
I've been using FL Studio mostly to make beats with but i've been having problems finding inspiring sounds, especially synths. I've got VST's but haven't found anything i can stick with so please don't recommend VST's i can use. I've used Reason a little bit before and even made a beat with it but i only know the very basic functions.
Since is Reaosn's sounds are self contained there's going to be a lot more sounds available than there is for any one VST so i've decided to switch.

I've been wanting to switch to Reason for everything except drum programming (which i will continue to do in FL Studio since it's easier for me, i hate Reason's sequencer) for a while now and have been having some problems. I went through the sounds and realized there wasn't nearly enough melody sounds as i want. I downloaded some ReFills and tried using them in Reason but i'm having a couple problems.

1. Since the different racks use different sound formats i'm having a hard time knowing what rack uses what. I can go through each rack browsing all the different ReFills for the sounds but this seems stupid. Is there a way i can browse all the sounds regarless of format and then open up the rack i need to use that sound or do i have to go through each ReFill with all the different racks?

2. This is the biggest problem. I've found that whenever i want to browse through my ReFills the search box that opens always starts me off in one of the stock Reason ReFills and to get to my own downloaded ReFills i need to click on My Desktop, then My Computer, then click on my external hard drive and then go through about 10 different folders (since i've organised everything on my harddrive) before i get to my ReFills folder. I did this a few times going through different ReFills or using different racks but this is really annoying and pissed me off so much i closed Reason and went back to using FL.

When the search box opens there's a Locations bar on the left that shows some search buttons such as Desktop and shows Reason's stock ReFills. Is there any way i can put all my downloaded ReFills on the Locations bar so i can just double click them and get to the sounds straight away? This option would seem like an obvious one for Propellerhead to implement since using the first way i described is annoying but i haven't found any way to do it. I've gone through the Options/Preferences and haven't found anything. I've tried setting a list with my ReFills on but it wouldn't let me choose any ReFills so the list stayed blank, i've also searched Google, Youtube and FP but haven't found anything. I'm sure somebody knows since i'm finding it hard to believe anybody would go through the first way everytime and wouldn't be really pissed off.

I think i've described my problems pretty well so if you can please help me. If anyone wants i can post some more info.

I'll check every couple hours for replies and respond but thanks in advance.

All you do is put all your downloaded refill in a single folder. Then drag that folder to the spot on the left in the window where the Reason Factory Soundbank is.

And the problem about knowing which sounds for which device. You are doing things wrong. Just go to create instrument. Go to a refill and it shows every kind of instrument. When you click it, it creates the proper device for you.

The only reason you hate the sequencer is that you are not used to it. You will be soon and be saying "Fruity who?"

Also there is a vst called VI One for $99 that comes with 21gb of sounds. Then if you had one good synth you could just get new patches for it. There are a million different expansion patches for Vanguard.

I think I could go forever with just VI One, Analog Factory, Sawer, and Ultra Analog if I wanted to.

Last edited:
All you do is put all your downloaded refill in a single folder. Then drag that folder to the spot on the left in the window where the Reason Factory Soundbank is.

And the problem about knowing which sounds for which device. You are doing things wrong. Just go to create instrument. Go to a refill and it shows every kind of instrument. When you click it, it creates the proper device for you.

The only reason you hate the sequencer is that you are not used to it. You will be soon and be saying "Fruity who?"

Also there is a vst called VI One for $99 that comes with 21gb of sounds. Then if you had one good synth you could just get new patches for it. There are a million different expansion patches for Vanguard.

I think I could go forever with just VI One, Analog Factory, Sawer, and Ultra Analog if I wanted to.

Thanks a lot for the help. I tried the dragging thing before but it didn't work. I was opening up the folder in the explorer and then dragging the folder onto Reason and then onto Locations bar. The circle with a line through it kept coming up which i know now meant you can't drag anything form outside Reason on. I opened the search box and then in that went through all the folders till i got to the ReFills folder and dragged that to the left which worked.

And thanks for the other tip too. I didn't know that before.

I've heard you mentioning those VST's before a lot, especially VI One. It's got a massive library by the look of things and it's cheap. I guess i'll buy that if i decide Reason isn't for me and go back to FL Studio for everything.

I haven't seen many people mentioning any of those VST's you mentioned though so i'm guessing they're a lot of people's secret VST's. Maybe even Timbaland uses these ones and since they're not weel known people are having a hard time knowing what he uses.

Once again, thanks.

I've seen interviews of Timbo where he says that he has every vst made as well as every keyboard made. I know he uses the Radius, Bass Station, V-Station, Vangaurd, and many many others.

Back