How to create NN-XT instrument from VST??

pete47

Hi guys,

Basically I've run out of reason sounds for my productions and I'd like to make some new sounds using VST's.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide of how to record sounds from a vst so I can load them into a nnxt.

I assume I'll have to play each note on the VST and save it as a WAV and then load them individually into the nnxt. However I don't know how to do this and whether I'll need any other software?

Thanks in advance

Pete

That could take hours and hours. What vst's are you trying to convert? Many vst instruments are multisampled and to make a true conversion, you will need to set up velocity switches and samplezones. Man that's a nightmare.

Why not just buy some refills? I find it hard to believe that you own every refill made for Reason. How have you run out of sounds? What don you mean by saying that?

kb420 said:
That could take hours and hours. What vst's are you trying to convert? Many vst instruments are multisampled and to make a true conversion, you will need to set up velocity switches and samplezones. Man that's a nightmare.

Why not just buy some refills? I find it hard to believe that you own every refill made for Reason. How have you run out of sounds? What don you mean by saying that?

I like the sounds from VST's like Vanguard,(I'm into trance producing),

I didn't say I have every reason refill, just that there are no more about that I like. I have used the refills I like in loads of tracks and want some new sounds.

There seem to be loads of trance VST's about and I just want to utilise the sounds, but ideally in reason

Vanguard is not a sample based instrument. It's all dsp. If you try to sample that, it may end up sounding like crap. You'll lose some of the sound quality becuase of loop points and whatnot. If you really want to make use of vst's, then I suggest getting some software that can host vst and rewire clients.

It sounds to me like you may have outgrown Reason. If you can't get the synth sounds you want out of Subtractor, Malestrom, and Thor, then it's time for a new host.

It's time to buy a DAW!

I agree with kb420 - it's possible to sample VSTs, but you'll 1) end up using a lot of HD space even for the simplest patches and 2) lose most of the tweakability of the original. discoDSP's HighLife does what you want, at least theoretically. Never got around to test it.

if you make trance, look for free refills for the synths. the 1001 malstrom and 1001 subtractor patches make a great starting point for new combi patches. get into making some of your own sounds, that breaths new life into Reason, if your just looking for more presets, your going to be back posting the same thread once you get tired of those sounds too. 2002 patches should be enough to keep you busy for a while. i think i'mma start working on the "1001 thor" patches if it doesn't pop up soon. who's with me? krushin, kb, anybody?
LevLove

plus, if you get vst's and a way to host/sample them, then you should have rewire and can just get busy from there.

Last edited:
what's up Pete 47?

Your best bet is probably to grab some Refills off Ebay.
I got the Sonic Gold library volumes 1-20 for 19 bucks and it was a digital download. I got new sounds right there.

I have had this for about 4 months, and I am still running into new sounds I've never heard before. Also, Propellerheads has some great sounding free Refills as well.

If you want to just do a few of them it maybe ok but still work.
Only way I can think of is use CDXTrack 4 to open the vst.
Export to something like a SF(CDXTrack does not convert to NN-XT)
Then use Extreme Sample Converter to convert then to NN-XT

You can use SampleRobot to convert vst presets to NN-NT patches

http://www.samplerobot.com/funktionalitaet_b.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
breal said:
If you want to just do a few of them it maybe ok but still work.
Only way I can think of is use CDXTrack 4 to open the vst.
Export to something like a SF(CDXTrack does not convert to NN-XT)
Then use Extreme Sample Converter to convert then to NN-XT

I have not used CDXTract? but it probably can't open a VST directly, since the VST may not have any actual audio inside it, but just be a computer program that generates audio.

The only software bit you need to do this is something that can record the output of your VST to an audio file (and of course, NN-XT), but its going to be work, there is no automatic way to do it. The way you go about this is to record a single note from your VST to an audio file (e.g.., wav, aiff). Import audio file into NN-XT and build your NN-XT instrument. Repeat with other notes and add to your NN-XT instrument as desired. No need for sample-converter. There may be software out there that can automate some of this, e.g., which sample gets assigned to which notes etc, but there is no automatic way to get it to sound good as it will be different for each sound. As others have pointed out, recreating a VST (or any other instrument) with samples may or may not produce pleasing results, and you'll be far better off with a tracker where you can just add the VST to your Reason tracks rather than trying to sample it.

mbietenholz said:
I have not used CDXTract? but it probably can't open a VST directly, since the VST may not have any actual audio inside it, but just be a computer program that generates audio.

The only software bit you need to do this is something that can record the output of your VST to an audio file (and of course, NN-XT), but its going to be work, there is no automatic way to do it. The way you go about this is to record a single note from your VST to an audio file (e.g.., wav, aiff). Import audio file into NN-XT and build your NN-XT instrument. Repeat with other notes and add to your NN-XT instrument as desired. No need for sample-converter. There may be software out there that can automate some of this, e.g., which sample gets assigned to which notes etc, but there is no automatic way to get it to sound good as it will be different for each sound. As others have pointed out, recreating a VST (or any other instrument) with samples may or may not produce pleasing results, and you'll be far better off with a tracker where you can just add the VST to your Reason tracks rather than trying to sample it.
I already told you SampleRobot can do it

From website
Main Functionality
  • Fully automatic sampling of MIDI sound devices that are connected to a Windows compatible MIDI and audio interface
  • Semi-automatic sampling of sound sources that are not equipped with a MIDI interface
  • Fully automated sampling of VST- and DirectX-instruments
http://www.samplerobot.com/funktionalitaet_b.htm

Audio Export
  • Formats: WAV (single-sample, multi-sample), SRPrj, Preset, various software sampler formats (see below)
  • Format details: same as Import
  • Cakewalk Dimension Pro (*.sfz)
  • SoundFont2 (*.sf2)
  • Steinberg HALion 3 (*.xml, clipboard copy & paste)
  • Apple Logic Pro EXS 24 (*.sf2)
  • Tascam Gigastudio (*.wav)
  • Propellerhead Software Reason 3.0 NN-XT (*.sxt)
  • Emu Emulator X, X2 (*.wav)
  • Wusik.com Wusikstation (*.SND)
  • Yellow Tools Independence (*.sf2)
  • MOTU Machfive (*.wav)
  • rgc:audio (*.sfz)
  • Maz Sound Tools VSampler 3 (*.sf2)
  • NI Kontakt (*.sf2)
  • All multi-sample export formats including auto-mapping and multi-velocity layering

Last edited by a moderator:
mbietenholz said:

Yes this is what I was looking to do.

This samplerobot sounds interesting I'll give that a look, thanks guys

I'd suggest looking into HighLife as well, as I said before - SampleRobot is pretty expensive ($399) for what it does, whereas HighLife costs just $69.

cmon guys. u just need to use a sequencer that supports vst. get cubase or logic. u dont need to record the output of a vst . u just export it into a sound loop. just sequence in a good DAW. its faster and better than the option of multisampling a vst instrument (thats what u wanna do, actually) , but that my friend i think is a bad idea. just play the vst.

old thread so prolly too late. if you aren't interested in the format they literally made rewire for, midi ox and emi are the tools for routing to external synths outside of reason.

Back