How 2 Make Radio Version (Pro Tools 7.4 Elastic Audio??)

H

hypnotyk

I am nearing completion of my album and am wondering how have most rap songs achieved their turntable brake pad effect for editing out curse words. (Listen to most modern rap , Yung Joc, Chamillionaire,etc)

When they say the word, it brake pads down (like a power failure effect) just enough to cover the word.

my questions are

1 (since pro tools just recently added elastic audio) - what technique has the industry been using ??

2 and how can you use Pro Tools elastic audio to gain the same result.

ive been tryin to get that effect for the longest i just asked the same thing yesterday.Someone said use the varispeed option im trying to slow down the whole track tho so i guess automation would be my option i just gotta figure out how.Holla @ me when u figure it out ill do the same either way

All I Know...

optik415 said:
ive been tryin to get that effect for the longest i just asked the same thing yesterday.Someone said use the varispeed option im trying to slow down the whole track tho so i guess automation would be my option i just gotta figure out how.Holla @ me when u figure it out ill do the same either way

what I have discovered from studying the digidesign tutorial videos is that you will need to first set the tracks you would like to warp to one of the four algorithms (ie Varispeed) -- For the brake pedal effect, I found that Varispeed is what we will need.

In the edit window, in your rulers options, show the tempo ruler. click the arrow on the left side of the tempo ruler, it will expand. you wil see a green bar on top of a pink background (unless you've changed the colors) - the green is the tempo automation. use the draw tool to change it.

I still need to play with it more because as of now, that method is causing the words to ramp up and down and fall off beat rather than to just ramp down the one word.

I hope this helps you a little :) (as this is all i know for now)

hypnotyk said:
what I have discovered from studying the digidesign tutorial videos is that you will need to first set the tracks you would like to warp to one of the four algorithms (ie Varispeed) -- For the brake pedal effect, I found that Varispeed is what we will need.

In the edit window, in your rulers options, show the tempo ruler. click the arrow on the left side of the tempo ruler, it will expand. you wil see a green bar on top of a pink background (unless you've changed the colors) - the green is the tempo automation. use the draw tool to change it.

I still need to play with it more because as of now, that method is causing the words to ramp up and down and fall off beat rather than to just ramp down the one word.

I hope this helps you a little :) (as this is all i know for now)

maybe u should set the tempo and highlight the audio with grid edit if u havent already done this.Im gonna play with it later ill let u know what i come up with

optik415 said:
maybe u should set the tempo and highlight the audio with grid edit if u havent already done this.Im gonna play with it later ill let u know what i come up with

i have not tried exactly that, i will play with it in a second... it would be nice to have a simple automation line that i can just draw the pitch down, ya know ?

I am hoping someone that has experience with this will hurry and reply lol

hypnotyk said:
i have not tried exactly that, i will play with it in a second... it would be nice to have a simple automation line that i can just draw the pitch down, ya know ?

I am hoping someone that has experience with this will hurry and reply lol

I havent touched my pro tools yet cause im gonna pick up my digi 003 at guitar center 2morrow.In the meantime ive been using a cracked 7.4 so once i get my official one ill dig deeper and figure this thing out once and for all.Do me a favor and check out my homie he just finished his version of american gangster and it's dope so far

http://www.myspace.com/boac

Update

UPDATE:

I have found out how to somewhat achieve this ramp down / brake pedal effect using Pro Tools Elastic Audio...

HERE IS HOW TO ACHIEVE THE BRAKE PEDAL EFFECT:

1) You will need to make sure that the tracks you want to warp are set to the Ticks timebase (click the blue circle button on the track of the edit window and there is an option with a green triangle labeled Ticks)

2) Select the Varispeed elastic audio setting for your tracks.

3) Make sure you set your track views to "Warp" so you can see the markers it has detected.

4) Find the curse word that you want to warp. Shift+Click the lines around the word (maybe one or two lines before/after, or a few words before/after) -- This will lock down the selected markers so that when your warp the word, it does not warp the rest of the audio around it (You will run into this when you play with it!)

5) Drag the word so that it will have that slow effect.. Words like "F*ck" can use a simple drag of that one wave, but when you run into other words like "B*tches" for example, you have multiple markers to choose, so you may need to drag a few of them ( just play around!!! )

6) Last you want to clean up the words (Because you might not be able to get the begging or ending of the word to pitch correctly --- you will need to simply chop the word where it hurts... and fade it out so that the first few letters of the word a spoken so "B*tches" would say "Bi" - with the brake pedal effect

Try it and let me know if it works for you!

Last edited by a moderator:
yo im bout to mess with it right now i been busy doin other stuff.Im gonna follow the tutorial ill see what i can come up with.I finally got my d-fi authorization.The plug-in kinda sucks its like 10 years old and it only works good on 1-2 second clips anything else will sound unatural on off beat.Ill mess with vocals but my main thing is to slow down beats i really wanna do what the pro tools 7.4 video was doin it looks like a varispeed automation of some sort i wanna figure this out.hOLLA @ me if u come up with sumthin new and ill do the same.

hypnotyk said:
UPDATE:

I have found out how to somewhat achieve this ramp down / brake pedal effect using Pro Tools Elastic Audio...

HERE IS HOW TO ACHIEVE THE BRAKE PEDAL EFFECT:

1) You will need to make sure that the tracks you want to warp are set to the Ticks timebase (click the blue circle button on the track of the edit window and there is an option with a green triangle labeled Ticks)

2) Select the Varispeed elastic audio setting for your tracks.

3) Make sure you set your track views to "Warp" so you can see the markers it has detected.

4) Find the curse word that you want to warp. Shift+Click the lines around the word (maybe one or two lines before/after, or a few words before/after) -- This will lock down the selected markers so that when your warp the word, it does not warp the rest of the audio around it (You will run into this when you play with it!)

5) Drag the word so that it will have that slow effect.. Words like "F*ck" can use a simple drag of that one wave, but when you run into other words like "B*tches" for example, you have multiple markers to choose, so you may need to drag a few of them ( just play around!!! )

6) Last you want to clean up the words (Because you might not be able to get the begging or ending of the word to pitch correctly --- you will need to simply chop the word where it hurts... and fade it out so that the first few letters of the word a spoken so "B*tches" would say "Bi" - with the brake pedal effect

Try it and let me know if it works for you!

i followed the tutorial and everything went fine but im not getting that top to bottom slow down effect. this method just slows the audio to one pitch i want start to end slow down like an actual turntable.Im gonna play with it more but now i just encountered a new problem my inputs 3-4 on the 003 have click pop noises during recordin and when it's not recordin hopefully i figure that out.

Last edited:
If you want that turntable effect for the ENTIRE TRACK.. set varispeed on ALL TRACKS --

MAKE SURE TO USE THE TICKS TIMEBASE OR ELSE IT WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and use the tempo automation line to draw in the ramp up and down... they show it in the tutorials... that method is much easier than getting one word to have that effect

hypnotyk said:
If you want that turntable effect for the ENTIRE TRACK.. set varispeed on ALL TRACKS --

MAKE SURE TO USE THE TICKS TIMEBASE OR ELSE IT WILL NOT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and use the tempo automation line to draw in the ramp up and down... they show it in the tutorials... that method is much easier than getting one word to have that effect

I remembered the ticks part but i forgot to apply it.I watch the 7.4 video again and i saw all tracks on varispeed.I drew tempo automation but it didnt seem to work im gonna play with it more but im stressin off my inputs havin the click sound its gonna be a ***** if i gotta send my 003 back i still need to send in the mbox2pro cause i did the trade-in deal.Digidesign should have a tutorial for elastic audio i learned alot today tho im suprised people aint in here attackin us about our post whatever ill holla back soon PEACE.

optik415 said:
I remembered the ticks part but i forgot to apply it.I watch the 7.4 video again and i saw all tracks on varispeed.I drew tempo automation but it didnt seem to work im gonna play with it more but im stressin off my inputs havin the click sound its gonna be a ***** if i gotta send my 003 back i still need to send in the mbox2pro cause i did the trade-in deal.Digidesign should have a tutorial for elastic audio i learned alot today tho im suprised people aint in here attackin us about our post whatever ill holla back soon PEACE.

Awe man too bad you dont have one of those Mbox2 Micro's, those are sweet. At least you'd be able to run PT while your unit is repaired. I don't have a micro :(

I am surprised no one has said anything either.. maybe we know more about it than they do ?

I will play with it over days and send you the session files when i find something

I'd recommend at the very least just doing punch-ins over the bad words with new parts that are clean. Just do a radio version and an album version. It sounds better than effects/sfx, beeps, or blanks.

Sometimes re-doing parts is not an option I understand. In this case, I'd reverse the words were possible. Some bad words still sound bad when reverse so make sure to check that also. For a record stop effect, only thing that can do this very easily is the FL wave traveller plugin but of course you'd have to export single words and so on if you have FL as an option. Then there's the sound effects route of course, door slamming, doorbell, that kind of thing.

sleepy said:
I'd recommend at the very least just doing punch-ins over the bad words with new parts that are clean. Just do a radio version and an album version. It sounds better than effects/sfx, beeps, or blanks.

Sometimes re-doing parts is not an option I understand. In this case, I'd reverse the words were possible. Some bad words still sound bad when reverse so make sure to check that also. For a record stop effect, only thing that can do this very easily is the FL wave traveller plugin but of course you'd have to export single words and so on if you have FL as an option. Then there's the sound effects route of course, door slamming, doorbell, that kind of thing.

Thanks for the feedback! Nice suggestions , and I was thinking about those options, which are all perfectly fine in the music industry. For some words in my songs, (For instance catch phrases and hooks), I do plan on doing the punch in method. Never really though about trying the SFX option. I Think there are some other VSTi or RTAS plugins other then FL's Wave Traveller that have the do the same thing, i wish someone would hurry up and tell me !! lol.

If you look at how the industry trend for editing over the last few years:

80s - 90s :: Reverse | Cut Out the bad word
mid 90s - late 90s :: Reverse | Cut Out | SFX
2000s - Present :: Reverse | Cut Out | SFX | Brake Pedal

So as you see, the brake pedal effect really wasn't made the new concept of radio editing until recently.

PS:: maybe I can use FXPansions's VST to RTAS adpater to turn FL's wave traveller into an RTAS for pro tools use ?? if not then can anyone get me a *cough* cracked *cough* version of it ? lol

*** Update:

did a little bit more snooping around on the web.

I found this free VST plugin called TAPESTOP that claims to have the brake pedal effect. http://hem.bredband.net/tbtaudio/

it is from 2005 , but it may work well (will check when i get home)

.. also after doing other research i think I want to look into purchasing Stanton's "Final Scratch" -- check it out

Last edited by a moderator:
What i would do, is load the cuss words ina sampler, turn the pitch bend wheel amount all the way up in the sampler, that way the pitch bend wheel will create the record stop effect when you pull it down in the middle of the cuss word. Sounds a lot simpler then all the automation and stuff.
LevLove

LevLove said:
What i would do, is load the cuss words ina sampler, turn the pitch bend wheel amount all the way up in the sampler, that way the pitch bend wheel will create the record stop effect when you pull it down in the middle of the cuss word. Sounds a lot simpler then all the automation and stuff.
LevLove

that is an EXCELLENT idea!!! (Although the pitch bend motion would still be automation!) I will surely try that once i get in the studio tommorow..

What do you think I should use ?? I could rewire FL into Pro tools, or I could use HALion. i duno gime ideas :)

So any new news on how to make this ramp down , brake pedal effect ??? (sorry , i had to revive this from the dead)

hypnotyk said:
So any new news on how to make this ramp down , brake pedal effect ??? (sorry , i had to revive this from the dead)

dam i forgot bout this.I kinda left it alone and was figurein out some other things.One thing i did was set the tracks u want the effects on to varispeed and draw in a tempo change at the top but i dont know how to lock it it just brings down everything.I dont know how to just do one bar i look into it this week.Im suprised u still havent found anything.

optik415 said:
dam i forgot bout this.I kinda left it alone and was figurein out some other things.One thing i did was set the tracks u want the effects on to varispeed and draw in a tempo change at the top but i dont know how to lock it it just brings down everything.I dont know how to just do one bar i look into it this week.Im suprised u still havent found anything.

me either. I am tempted to just go to some of the majors here in Austin that I am able to get in contact with, and ask them if they know. but with fears of looking like a dumbass lol

somebody told me its easyer to highlight the word, only the word, nothing less nothing more, and reverse the area... and the song plays so smooth that it edits it out very nice.... I havent tryed it yet, but it makes sinse to me... just giving you my 2 cent on what I herd..

61Key said:
somebody told me its easyer to highlight the word, only the word, nothing less nothing more, and reverse the area... and the song plays so smooth that it edits it out very nice.... I havent tryed it yet, but it makes sinse to me... just giving you my 2 cent on what I herd..

Yes, 61Key, Reversing only the swear word is a very effective way to clean up dirty words. Many studios have been using this effect since late 80s early 90s . This method of slowing down the word is fairly new (maybe since 04, 05 ??)

Back