Help Sequencing Boom Bap Drums in FL Studio

Villainaire

I use FL 10, & I have the MPC swing templates I occasionally use, but I was wondering if there's a way to make drum programming sound even MORE realistic? Let's say I'm looking for the realistic drum programming of let's say Drake's "Light Up" Drake Light Up (Thank Me Later) - YouTube ?? Do you think those drums were programmed hit by hit, or would you assume that's a real drum loop? I'm trying to achieve that same type pf swing. Any help would be appreciated, Vill

Last edited:
There are different things that go into making drums sound authentic. two of the major things are timing and velocity. no real drummer will ever hit every single note at the same velocity and at the exact same moment every time. So playing with the velocity and timing of the individual notes and having a decent drum pattern you should be able to get some pretty good results.

The guys above are correct regarding velocity and not quantizing. I would also suggest listening to some soul drum breaks to get some ideas on patterns and when you hear something you like just look at its waveform. You can see which notes are a bit off-tempo, which ones are hit harder or softer etc.

Back