help with recording setup

L

labyrinth

whats up,
i have been doing live performances for about two years but it is finally time to step into the realm of computer recording. i just wanted to get some opinions about what to use before i put out all the money.

here is what i have:
sony vaio p4 pc, windows xp
korg triton, roland jx-305, roland sp-808.
"i know, the analog synths are on the way"
ni absynth, fruity loops
ibanez sr 5-string bass, zoom multi-effects pedal
behringer eurorack

here is what i am thinking for the recording setup:
cubase sx
audiotrak maya44 sound card
audiotrak 2i/2o midi interface

questions:
1)cubase sx or cakewalk sonar 2.0 xl? i havn't used either program but i have read great things about both of them. you know what i need: plug ins, effects, live audio recording for the bass, mastering tools, etc.
2)audiotrak soundcard? not a very big company but there is a store where i get good discounts because i am a full-time student. i have also read good reviews about this card.
3)midi interface? the audiotrak is a hardware installed interface. does this mean it has better timing than the usb interfaces? or does it not make too big of a difference and i should go with a midiman usb?

let me know what you think. thanks.
peace,
labyrinth
pangea productions usa
if you want to hear some live tracks or dj mixes let me know

ann nternal cardis generally better than USB... unless you are using a laptop to do n the spot recoording.....

Sonar = direct X plug ins
CubaseSX= VST plug ins

NI absynth is VST... I don't know if there is a directX verson out.

Sonar is generally easier o use, but not quite as powerful as Cubase SX (although somoe wuld say yottherwise) but it's alos LAOT cheaper!
If yoou want to check out what the programs are like. check the demos.... "demoos" are avilable on the net anyplace. ;)
but only use it too check the sooftware before you droop youour cash. Any student wiht limited funds should do this. try eeach for a week... than uninstall it. It'll le tyou chooose which youo feel is a better working enviroment for you.

Back