Help with chopping samples in Logic 9

mastermind003

Hey, I just recently started using Logic 9 after using FL Studio for many years. I have figured out how to chop and playback samples using the EXS24 sampler, but what I cannot figure out is how to adjust the release so that when I press a key, the sample plays to the end, similar to the the "play to end" option on the Fruity Slicer in FL. Any help would be appreciated.

This video has been floating around here on the forums for a while. I'm not a Logic user, but it seems as if Just only tapped the keys and the sample played out (without him holding the key down). But if this doesn't work, I'm sure there is a sustain and release feature somewhere in the editor where he set the polyphony.

I am a Logic user, and I'm pretty sure I understand what you're saying.
So, with the exs24 you have ADSR settings on the front GUI in bottom right,

EXS24 ADSR.jpg

as well as "playback" settings internally within the exs24.

EXS24 EDITOR.png

My guess is that the "1shot" box is checked, and your current ADSR settings do not cut the samples off.
In the biggest screen shot at the bottom, you can see that I have an 808 kick that I am editing in the EXS24 editor. I have "1shot" and "Pitch" checked, so if these were the last settings before the sound came out of the sampler, that 808 kick would play the full way thru no matter how short the trigger note was. However, if you look over at the ADSR section you'll notice there's hardly any decay, there's no sustain and no release. So, once the sample has played for that very short amount of decay time, it will be cut off. This is a drastic setting that I entered just to help give you an example, but I am guessing you just need to adjust either the ADSR settings on the front of the samplers, or the "PLAYBACK"
parameters inside the exs24 editor.

If I was able to help, please consider helping me out with a vote in this beat battle on FP: KFX KICKS BEAT BATTLE#2 - Round#2 - 2 battles - You choose the winner!!!

EXS SHORT NOTE.jpg

Lemme know if there's anything else you are wondering that I may be able to help with,
Danarchy

Not sure if I understand your question 100% but are you asking how to edit the ADSR for each separate sample you have loaded into the instrument?

In the ESX24, when you adjust the ADSR on the GUI it will be global; it will effect every sample you have loaded up.

If you want to adjust the ADSR for each separate sample it has to be done in the edit window manually (numerically). You'll see Zones and Groups. It's a pain in the ass but you have to make a group for every sample you have loaded up. From there, on the edit menu, if you view each group, all the way on the right are numerical values for attack, hold, decay, sustain and release. If you want each hit to play longer, or until the end just set the release value higher. The highest (play until end) is 10,000.

I just switched to logic on a mac book pro, coming from Cubase SX 3 on a PC. Besides RAM and processor upgrades I had been using the same setup with SX 3 since it was released, basically. It wasn't sustainable for me to continue on that setup with software so outdated so I did a 180 and made a leap into Logic. I HATE the ESX24. Supposed to be powerful but it's very very bulky and to me, not intuitive.

I wish Native Instruments still supported Intakt or Kompakt. Those were perfect. Not has "big" as Kontakt but still very functional and stripped down. I'm in the process of trying to find a good sampler for Logic myself. Something stripped down and simple.

Anyway, hope I answered your question

Back